Southern Kings 7-43 Ospreys

The Ospreys scored seven tries to record an emphatic win on their first ever visit to Port Elizabeth, a victory that ensures their play-off hopes remain very much alive with just one game to go.

  • Dan Evans scores a hat-trick, his second in three games, to become the first ever Osprey to score three hat-tricks for the Region
  • Bradley Davies grabs two tries, his first for the Ospreys
  • Hanno Dirksen’s try takes him level 4th on the all-time list with Nikki Walker on 37
  • Cory Allen also scores on a night to remember

The bonus point arrived in just 26 minutes, with the Ospreys scoring five tries before the break to lead 33-0 at half-time, playing with a strong wind behind them, seeing the game out with two second half scores.

The first opportunity went to the home team four minutes in, winger Bjorn Basson given something to chase up the left, a teasing grubber that Hanno Dirksen did really well to get back and tidy up, just a metre or so from the line.

The Ospreys response saw a long period of possession, Dirksen carrying strongly into the Kings 22, that ultimately come to nothing, a side entry at the ruck seeing the visitors penalised.

Back came the Kings and a lovely dummy from Stefan Ungerer left two defenders grasping thin air, but Sibussio Sithole couldn’t find a way through, Ospreys eventually winning a penalty on the floor to clear.

The Ospreys struck first in the 14th minute, a stunning score from Dan Evans after a turnover in midfield, Bradley Davies running a dummy allowing the fullback to drift through the gap to cruise over and score his sixth try in his last three games, Price adding the two points.

Evans went over again just four minutes later. The ball was worked left to Keelan Giles who did great work before offloading to his full back just metres from the line. Price again converted and the Ospreys led by 14 with a little under 20 minutes played.

It got even better a minute later, the Ospreys now in total control as they ran back the restart, Evans launching the attack from inside the 22 , Giles carrying to halfway, Aled Davies supporting took play up to the opposition 22m line before releasing Allen to race over and score. The wind proved too much for Price, his conversion going wide, but the scoreboard read 0-19 at the end of the first quarter.

It was all Ospreys and the bonus point arrived in the 26th minute, Adam Beard with the break in midfield before releasing Dirksen who surged clear to score under the posts, Price slotting the conversion.

An incredible first half hour saw try number five arrive via the unlikely source of Bradley Davies, the big second row finishing off a lineout drive that rumbled 15m upfield and 20m across field closer to the posts, his first ever Ospreys try in his 44th game. Price added the extras and his team now led by 33 points.

The visitors continued to dominate and Dirksen almost grabbed a second, peeling off the back of a rolling maul to go for the line, but he was held up by Andisa Ntsila. Despite more Ospreys pressure there was to be no more scoring before the teams headed down the tunnel, the Ospreys holding a big lead after an impressive 40 minutes.

HALF-TIME: SOUTHERN KINGS 0-33 Ospreys in the Community

Now playing into the strong wind, it was almost the perfect start to the second half for the Ospreys, still playing with adventure and looking to keep the ball alive. It was replacement, Sam Davies, who saw the gap and went for the line, scurrying forward 20m, only to lose possession in the tackle as he looked to stretch over to score.

The Kings struck for the first time seven minutes into the second period, a break from Andries Van Schalkwyk, the openside releasing the impressive Ungerer to touch down. However, it was referred upstairs, the TMO confirming the pass was forward. 

Second row Stephan Greef was then sent to the sinbin in the 52nd minute, the second row taking out Bradley Davies illegally at the lineout.

They took full advantage of the extra man to stretch the lead further in the 57th minute, a well worked move seeing Sam Davies feeding Evans, running a great line to burst through unchecked for his third, making history in the process as he became the first Osprey ever to score three hat-tricks.

The conversion from Sam Davies never looked like going through the middle, but as the hour approached, the Ospreys now led by 38 points. 

Within two minutes the Kings were on the board, driving over in the corner from a lineout on the right, Michael Willemse scoring, Masixole Banda adding the extras. 

Allen should have had his second in the 64th minute, intercepting a loose pass 20m out and going for the line, only to lose possession as Ungerer came across to cover, trying to bundle him out of play as he went for the line.

With the game over as a contest, the final say went to the Ospreys as, with just a minute left to play, it was Bradley Davies diving over for his second of the night, made by Giles, to round off a fantastic night, and a successful two week tour of South Africa.