Ospreys A V Dragons A Match Report

Once again the Opsreys pushed the boundaries of Regional Rugby by hosting the first ever Regional A Match at the Brewery Field, Bridgend RFC yesterday evening (Friday).

Although the weather wasn't supportive of the event (torrential rain throughout) the players certainly didn't let it get to them and they produced an entertaining game despite such difficult conditions. All Osprey fans will be pleased with the return of outside half Mathew Jones after seven months out of the game and it was he who opened the scoring with a well struck penalty. However, the Dragons certainly had an agenda of their own and Bedwas full back Stuart Thomas looked to counter attack whenever possible. One of these counter attacks led to the opening try of the game for impressive wing forward Dai Ford (Newbridge); outside half Aled Thomas converted. However, the Ospreys were not going to be outdone and got the lead back when Swansea wing Leigh Bevan (pictured) scored a try which Jones converted for a deserved 10 points to 7 half time lead. Unfortunately the second half wasn't as productive for the Ospreys and when replacement prop Craig Mitchell was yellow carded by referee James Jones, the Dragons took full advantage to set up a winning platform. Former Maesteg outside half James Dixon kicked the resulting penalty and wing Richard Fussell scored an excellent team try. Once Mitchel returned to the game the Ospreys were chasing the match but an excellent Dragons defence stopped them scoring any further points. Then to top it all Dixon kicked intelligently and former Bridgend centre Ryan Howells took advantage to score a try which Dixon converted for a winning margin of 22 points to 10. Despite a disappointing return to the Brewery Field for Ospreys A (and former Bridgend) captain Mike Powell, the initiative moves on with the Ospreys A due to play their second fixture at this level when they take on Worcester A at the Talbot Athletic Ground, Aberavon RFC on Tuesday 10th April.