Luke Morgan

Ospreys take the spoils on Derby Day

The first Boxing Day West Wales Derby in ten years was one to remember for the Ospreys as they came away with a huge win at the Stadium.

Physicality, power, passion. Three fitting words to describe the opening five minutes of the Boxing Day West Wales Derby.

It was those three words that led to an early red card for the Scarlets. A tackle from Tomas Lezana led to Rhys Davies being taken off as a blood sub and the former being sent off the pitch for the remainder.

TRY OSPREYS! The game went 15 minutes before we saw our first score. An Ospreys rolling maul looked to have been forced down by the Scarlets but it wouldn’t matter anyway. Alex Cuthbert was able to drive his way over the line for the opener in the next phase. Owen Williams was unable to convert a tough kick, 5-0 Ospreys.

As we passed the 20 minute mark, Ospreys’ man advantage was beginning to take a toll on the Scarlets as the penalty  count was on the rise.

TRY OSPREYS! A scrum inside the Scarlets’ 5 metre line set the platform for a well-worked move that was finished by Luke Morgan out wide. Converted by Owen, 12-0 Ospreys.

OH SO CLOSE. Luke Morgan with a contender for (almost) try of the season. A wicked weaving run starting from deep in his own half led to him being tackled into touch, inches away from the Scarlets try line.

Going back to those first three words again. This time it’s Owen Williams who has been deemed to have made contact with the head in the tackle, resulting in a yellow. 

Instant impact from the 14v14 for the Scarlets. Kalamafoni received the ball near the try line and the big man bowled his way over. Try converted, 12-7 Ospreys.

TRY OSPREYS! Instant reply from the Ospreys as Rhys Webb spotted a gap next to the ruck on the Scarlets 22 and flew through for a try next to the posts. Webb converts his own try with Owen off the pitch, 19-7 Ospreys.


The Scarlets started the second half well, controlling possession and territory in the first five minutes. They went close when Kalamafoni came running like a steam train off the side of the scrum but the Ospreys defence was able to hold the ball up.

The Scarlets were rewarded for their second half efforts. It looked like it might have been on for the Ospreys but a Johnny McNicholl interception allowed him to run his way through for the try. Try converted, 19-14 Ospreys.

Ospreys restored their two score lead shortly after, an Owen Williams penalty went through the middle of the sticks. 22-14 to the Ospreys.

Another almost moment for the Ospreys on the 60 minute mark. Rhys Webb spotted another gap next to the ruck, this time much closer to the try-line, but was held up.

A big cheer went up as Rhys Webb and Luke Morgan came off the pitch: the Bridgend Ath duo were immense in this one.

BONUS POINT TRY OSPREYS! Sam Parry getting amongst the scorers again as an Ospreys rolling maul went over. 29-14 Ospreys.

TRY NUMBER 5! They weren’t done there, a quality breakthrough try for the boys as Kieran Williams bolted through and finished clinically in the corner.