Ospreys at the Principality Stadium

As the countdown continues to the Challenge Cup quarter-final against Stade Francais in Cardiff, take a trip down memory lane to see how the Ospreys have fared at the venue over the years.

Familiar to so many of the squad who have featured regularly for Wales at the Principality Stadium over the seasons, seven of them as recently as last Friday night, it’s a venue that also holds happy many memories for Ospreys players, coaches and supporters.

Since the region played there for the first time almost exactly 10 years ago, the Ospreys have built up an impressive record at the home of Welsh rugby, winning six from six.

In total, in those games they have scored 171 points at an average of 28.5 per match, conceding just 89 (14.8 points average).

Take a look at how we’ve fared in our previous visits to the Principality Stadium – it’s guaranteed to whet the appetite for our return to the venue in the opening weekend of April……


Ospreys 27 Cardiff Blues 10

Saturday 24th March 2007

EDF Energy Cup Semi-Final 

Sonny Parker and Lee Byrne scored a try apiece, with James Hook kicking 17 points (4P, 1DG and 1C) as the Ospreys eased their way towards a first ever Twickenham appearance in the Anglo-Welsh final, against Leicester Tigers.

The Ospreys controlled the contest throughout, Blues indiscipline leading to three first half yellow cards and the two tries both coming with the Cardiff region a man short.

An intriguing subplot saw Ospreys scrum-half, Justin Marshall, winning the man of the match award up against Welsh international, Mike Phillips, ahead of his move to the region the following summer.


Ospreys 30 Saracens 3

Saturday 22nd March 2008

EDF Energy Cup Semi-Final

The Ospreys booked a second consecutive final against Leicester, eventually overcoming stern resistance to blow away Saracens in the second half.

Just a week after Wales had defeated France to clinch the Grand Slam at the same venue, the region’s international contingent were at the fore, Shane Williams with a brace of tries and man of the match, Gavin Henson, also touching down. Filo Tiatia also barged his way over to score, James Hook successfully kicking two conversions and two penalties.

An 18-year old Dan Biggar made his Ospreys debut as a late replacement for Hook.


Cardiff Blues 16 Ospreys 23

Saturday 30th March 2013

Judgment Day, PRO12

The first ever regional double header at the national stadium saw the Ospreys secure a victory that was rarely in doubt, without kicking on to secure the bonus point their dominance deserved. 

Trailing 7-0 inside as many minutes though a Leigh Halfpenny try and conversion, the Ospreys led by 10 at the break (10-20) after James King and Jonathan Spratt had crossed.

They failed to build on that lead in stodgy second half, with only a Biggar penalty to show for their efforts, taking his tally for the afternoon to 13, but the Blues were unable to force their way back into the game.


Newport Gwent Dragons 10 Ospreys 20

Sunday 20th April 2014

Judgment Day II, PRO12

In a strange game which saw the Ospreys enjoy 60% possession and 70% territory, the two teams went in even at half-time with neither side troubiing the scorers.

It was the Dragons who struck first after the restart, albeit against the run of play through former Osprey, scrum-half Richie Rees, as they caught the opposition defence napping.

The Ospreys were trailing inside the final quarter, eventually gaining the reward they needed thanks to a Tom Habberfield close range snipe, although the game wasn’t made safe until the final 90 seconds, a penalty try award against the Dragons scrum, Biggar also adding 10 points to the scoreboard with his boot in the second half.


Cardiff Blues 23 Ospreys 31

Saturday 25th April 2015

Judgment Day III, PRO12

The Ospreys trailed 9-0 with just five minutes remaining in the first half, only to rack up 31 points in as many minutes to claim a bonus point win.

In an enthralling contest, Dan Evans, Dan Biggar, Tom Grabham and Ben John all scored tries, with man of the match Biggar converting all four and slotting over a penalty for good measure.


Cardiff Blues 27 Ospreys 40

Saturday 30th April 2016

Judgment Day IV, PRO12 

The Ospreys crossed the line six times, five tries coming in the second half, to secure the victory in a real humdinger of a derby match that saw the lead change hands seven times before Steve Tandy’s team managed to pull away in the final 10 minutes to score a 10th straight league win over the Blues.

A tight first half saw the Blues go in at the break with a narrow 9-7 lead, man of the match, James King, with the first Ospreys try.

The second half was a completely different story as the two teams shared seven tries, five going the way of the Ospreys. Hanno Dirksen got two tries in five minutes before Sam Underhill went over with 10 to play.

A Gareth Anscombe penalty in the 72nd minute meant that the Blues lead by a point. Incredibly though they were denied even a losing bonus from the game as two Rhys Webb tries in the final three minutes, including an NFL style dive over the top of a ruck in the corner, meant a crazy game swung the way of the Ospreys.


Ospreys v Stade Francais

Sunday 2nd April 2017

European Rugby Challenge Cup quarter-final

Tickets for this historic clash are available to buy now at www.ospreysrugby.com/buytickets and from the WRU Ticket Office on Westgate Street, priced at just £10/£5.