Ospreys go close in Edinburgh

The early territory battle belonged to Edinburgh. Their first 22 entry was opened up by a well worked move off the lineout, but the Ospreys defence stood tall to deny them.

Ospreys forced a few Edinburgh errors in the first ten minutes and some solid box kicking from Luke Davies along with top effort from the defence put the pressure on the hands of the home team.

The first points of the game went to the Ospreys as Dan Edwards slotted his first kick through the middle of the posts, Edinburgh 0 - 3 Ospreys.

Despite a good spell from the Ospreys, the first try of the game went to the home side. Another well-worked play from the lineout resulted in a line break and Hamish Watson was there to finish. Healy converted, Edinburgh 7 - 3 Ospreys.

As the game approached the 22-minute mark Healy was able to add to his tally with a penalty. Edinburgh. 10 - 3 Ospreys.

Healy extended the home team’s lead soon after with another penalty to make it 13 - 3 Ospreys.

Ospreys were having their fair share of line breaks in the first half, with Rudolph and Boshoff leading the charge on that front. But, the last ditch defence of Edinburgh was doing just enough to hold the away side out.

With five minutes remaining in the first half, Healy put his third penalty of the game through the posts. Edinburgh 16 - 3 Ospreys.

Ospreys almost answered back as Keelan Giles broke through superbly, but the home side’s defence recovered again, with the fingertips of Harry Patterson just doing enough to stop the ball landing in Luke Davies’ hands for the score.

As we hit half time, the game was much closer than the score suggested: Ospreys were creating, but Edinburgh’s defence was just doing enough to hold the boys out.


HALF TIME: Edinburgh 16- 3 Ospreys.


Minutes into the first half and it was a TRY FOR OSPREYS! The pack won a penalty at the scrum near the Edinburgh line and went for the corner. The rolling maul powered through and the outcome was inevitable. Edinburgh 16 - 8 Ospreys.

The Ospreys score seemed to liven the Edinburgh offence, but the home side were unable to break through despite extended pressure in the 22.

Keelan was putting extensive pressure on Edinburgh throughout the game, with his pace and line breaks putting the home side to the sword.

TRY FOR OSPREYS! Keelan’s break and chase paid dividends as the Ospreys were able to force the Edinburgh defender over his own line. The pack won a penalty at the scrum which Tips took quickly and Morgan Morris scored on his return in the following phases. Owen Williams converted a tough kick from out wide. Edinburgh 16 - 15 Ospreys.

With seven minutes remaining, Healy gave the Scottish outfit some breathing space as he kicked a penalty through the posts. Edinburgh 19 - 15 Ospreys.

OSPREYS GO CLOSE! Mat Protheroe broke through with a trademark solo run, offloaded to Tips who passed out wide to Boshoff... but the final pass was tipped out of the hands of Harri Deaves into touch.

Ospreys went close again at the end: they won  lineout on the Edinburgh 5-metre line but the receiver was sacked and the home side were able to turn the ball over just before the clock struck red.

A gutsy second half performance sees the Ospreys come away with a crucial losing bonus point on the road.

FULL TIME – Edinburgh 19 - 5 Ospreys.


Next up at home: Munster come to the Stadium as we keep hunting for the URC knockouts and look to defend our 88% home-win rate this season. Come out and support an Ospreys team who are giving it their all: