Ospreys v Cardiff

Ospreys get the bonus point in Cardiff derby

We took a festive derby on the road to Brewery Field as the rain came down... game on!

the ball proved to be hard to handle in the early stages of the game in tough conditions. 

TRY FOR OSPREYS! Despite the poor conditions, the Ospreys were able to get the ball out wide for Keelan who finished superbly in the corner. 

But it didn’t take long for Cardiff to answer back. A spell of pressure from the away side was eventually rewarded as they went wide to level the scores. Conversion missed, 5-5. 

Cardiff added to their tally not long after. A well placed up and under by De Beer was brought in by Mason Grady who broke through to finish under the sticks. Try converted, 5 - 12. Cardiff. 

As we passed the 20-minute mark, De Beer added to the points tally again as he slotted a penalty through the middle of the sticks. 5 - 15.

With seven minutes left in the half, De Beer put his second penalty of the game through the posts to extend the Cardiff lead. 5-18. 

The Ospreys looked like they would be next to go over the line as they went for a scrum near the Cardiff posts, but some solid tryline defence from the away side meant that they were able to turn the ball over and clear their lines. 

A tough half in even worse conditions 


HT 5 - 18.


The Ospreys came out from the break looking the stronger of the two teams, but their first 22 entry was unfruitful. 

TRY FOR OSPREYS! Their second trip was a different story, the rolling maul which started outside the 22 powered its way to the Cardiff line before it was brought down illegally and the penalty try was awarded. Botham was sent to the bin. 12 - 18, Cardiff. 

Despite the man advantage for the Ospreys, Cardiff were able to return to their two score lead as De Beer kicked it over from the pen. 12 - 21 to the away side. 

MORGAN MORSE TAKE A BOW SON! A superb solo run from the 18-year-old as he beat multiple defenders to go over for a huge score. Dan Edwards converted, 19-21 Cardiff with the tide turning. 

THE BOYS TAKE THE LEAD! Cardiff brought down another rolling maul and Dan Eds slots it through to give Ospreys the lead. 22-21 Ospreys. 

With 15 to go, Cardiff went down to 14 men again as they brought down yet another rolling maul. Despite the man disadvantage, the away side were defending well to keep the score within 1. 

With 4 minutes left on the clock Dan Edwards kicked in behind the Cardiff defence from a scrum. Keelan Giles kicked the ball forward beyond the full back and dived over to secure the bonus point victory! 27 - 21.

The boys showed really grit to run down the clock and win a final penalty. Dan Edwards missed the kick, but it was enough to see the ball out in the next passage and secure the win. 

What a derby day win!

FT 27 - 21.