Ospreys v Leinster

Ospreys come up just short as Leinster Rugby win in Swansea

The Ospreys spent the majority of the game in the lead at the Swansea.com Stadium, but it was Leinster who came away with the win.

Leinster were the first team to enjoy a spell in opposition territory but some valiant defending from the Ospreys meant the trip was unfruitful.

Ospreys’ first trip had a different outcome. Quick ball from the lineout and some direct running from Keiran Williams and Dewi Lake left the Leinster defence stretched, giving up a penalty. Cai Evans slotted it, 3-0 to the Ospreys.

TRY FOR THE OSPREYS. Ospreys won a free kick at the scrum that was taken quickly by Morgan Morris and finished clinically by Keelan Giles on the left. Cai Evans with a top kick from out wide, 10-0 to the Ospreys.

As is often the case, the try seemed to invigorate the Leinster team and their next trip to the Ospreys 22 was rewarded with a penalty near the sticks, 10-3.

For the next ten minutes it was impossible to split the two teams, with Leinster edging the battle for territory.

Leinster were next to get on the scoreboard. A penalty gave them possession deep into the Ospreys 22 and eventually resulted in a try for Dan Sheehan. Leinster converted, 10-10. Close one here.


Ospreys struck first out the half and Cai Evans took a cool penalty near halfway. 13-10 to the Ospreys.

Keiran Williams was playing like a man possessed in this game, devastating on both sides of the ball. Talks of a Wales call up in the press might be circling even more now.

Ospreys were the next team to score again, another Cai kick through the middle. 16-10 Ospreys.

The Ospreys’ defence was quality: despite Leinster having multiple trips into their 22, the boys kept their discipline.

With 15 minutes to go Leinster finally came up with the try: 15 spots a gap in the defence and went over the line. Leinster converted and took the lead, 17-16.

It didn’t take long for Leinster to add to their tally again: a quick break down the left allowed Jimmy O’Brian to go over for the try. Ross Byrne converted, 24-16 Leinster.

Ospreys were not going down without a fight. Some monstrous running from Keiran Williams once again was supported by the pack as they powered through the Leinster defence and won a penalty. Cai converted to put the boys back within a score, 24-19 Leinster.

With 5 minutes to go, Cai continued his excellent kicking game and found the corner with a penalty but the boys couldn’t come away with the try.

Final score 24 - 19 to Leinster after a spirited Ospreys performance.