Ospreys come away from Leicester with historic last-gasp win

In a match that saw the lead change multiple times, the Ospreys made history, becoming the first ever Welsh team to win at Mattioli Woods Welford Road in the Heineken Champions Cup.

Leicester Tigers were first on the scoreboard. An early penalty put through the sticks by Handre Pollard. Leicester 3, Ospreys 0.

Ospreys were definitely looking like the better side in the first ten minutes.

TRY FOR OSPREYS! Ospreys win a penalty deep into Leicester territory, kick for the corner and Dewi Lake goes over with the rolling maul. Cai Evans converts, 7-3 to the Ospreys.

Leicester answer back. Ospreys manage to halt the Leicester maul but Jack Van Poortvliet stops a gap and dives for the line.  Pollard converts, 10-7 Leicester.

Mikey Collins, take a bow. The Tigers find a gap in the Ospreys’ defence but a try saving tackle from the centre manages to hold the ball up. Pollard kicks a penalty over from the previous advantage, 13-7 Leicester.

The boys win a penalty and Owen Williams knocks it over to bring the scores closer. 13-10 Leicester.

Ospreys' bally carrying has been monstrous in this game. Jac Morgan breaks clear and with a couple of fend offs he brings the ball close to the Leicester line. The Tigers escape though, winning a penalty that allows them to clear their lines a few phases later.

Leicester were pulling out all the stops with their set plays in the first half, but the Ospreys defensive line seem to have had an answer for them.

Another defensive stop from the Ospreys as they kick clear, encouraging a chase down by Justin Tipuric and Scott Baldwin. The pair combine for a choke tackle and win the Ospreys a huge turnover.

Ospreys win a penalty just before half time and it’s slotted by Owen Williams, 13-13. Nothing to separate the teams as we head into the break.



Leicester came out firing at in the second half, controlling the majority of possession and territory in the first ten minutes.

Try, Harry Simmons for Leicester. Ospreys manage to stop the rolling maul close to the line but a well worked first phase move from Leicester opens up a gap for the winger who dives over. Pollard converts, 20-13 to Leicester.

Oh so close for Ospreys! The ball is whipped out wide by Owen Williams, Keelan Giles flies through, close to the left touchline but is tackled into touch by a Leicester defender.

TRY OSPREYS! The Ospreys with their backs against the wall near their own line, manage to force a lose pass with quick line speed. Joe Hawkins reacted instantly by hacking the ball clear, Keelan chases, grabs with one hand and runs the length of the pitch. Owen converts, 20-20.

Leicester take the lead as Handre Pollard puts over the penalty, 23-20.

Pollard put over another shortly after, as Ospreys are penalized for obstruction. 26-20.

From the 70th minute, the game belonged to the Ospreys. An onslaught of Osprey pressure, countless phases and multiple TMO decisions meant the game went to the 90th minute. But Leicester could only delay the inevitable…

TRY FOR OSPREYS ON THE 90TH MINUTE! Jac Morgan with the pick and go, powers his way over to take it to the last kick of the game. AND OWEN WILLIAMS CONVERTS, OSPREYS WIN 27-26!