Lilac Was The Winning Colour

It was a comfortable win at the Liberty stadium, with the boys in lilac scoring the two tries of the game against Munster.

It was a comfortable win at the Liberty stadium, with the Ospreys scoring the two tries of the game against Munster.

Lee Byrne glided over the line to score on 30 minutes after a classy break from fly-half Gareth Owen, making his first home start for the region.

Shane Williams then touched down in the right corner for the second try after Byrne had drawn in two defenders.

Gavin Henson started at centre, but his afternoon lasted just 13 minutes at the Liberty Stadium as a leg injury forced him off.

The crowed cheered as Mike Phillips flew over the line for what everyone thought was going to be Mike's first try, but the Ospreys were left frustrated when the television match official ruled that Phillips had failed to ground the ball after crashing over the Munster try line, even though the referee had previously awarded the try!

A video replay was again needed moments later as the Ospreys began to seize control, but this time the home crowd could celebrate the first try.

Eighteen year-old fly-half Gareth Owen, who had opened the scoring with a fourth-minute penalty, pierced through the Munster defence and found Byrne on his left shoulder.

The full-back was brought down over five yards out, but his momentum allowed him to slide over on the greasy surface before being bundled into touch.

Byrne turned creator for the home side's second try two minutes later when his perfectly timed pass to Williams gave the winger just enough space down the right wing to squeeze in at the corner.

Again the referee asked for conformation from the TMO, who saw that Williams had come within a grass blade of going into touch.

It was a good effort from Owen although he missed both conversions from difficult angles and hit the post with a penalty effort early in the second half, but the young man found his range on 48 minutes to stretch the Ospreys lead to 16 points. Final score 16 -3.

Ospreys: Byrne; Walker, Parker, Henson, S. Williams; Owen, Phillips; D. Jones, Bennett, Griffiths, Gough, Evans, Thomas, Lewis, Tiatia (capt).
Replacements: A. Bishop for Henson (13), Hook for Owen (69), Roberts for Phillips (80), B. Williams for Bennett (74), A. Jones for Griffiths (53), Bateman for Evans (80), Tandy for Lewis (80).

Munster: Payne; Carney, Lewis, Tipoki, Dowling; P. Warwick, O'Leary; Pucciariello, Fogarty, Buckley, Melbourne, O'Driscoll, Quinlan, Ronan, Foley (capt).
Replacements: Stringer for Payne (51), Mafi for Dowling (66), Manning for P. Warwick (49), D. Hurley for Pucciariello (74), Sheahan for Fogarty (51), Holland for Melbourne (74), Coughlan for Foley (74).

Att: 7,740

Ospreys (13) 16
Tries: Byrne, Williams
Pens: Owen (2)

Munster (0) 3
Pens: Manning

undefined undefined undefined undefinedundefinedundefined undefined undefined undefined undefined

Ref: S McDowell (Ireland).

TJ1: Jason Mason

TJ2: Simon Harris

Third Match Official: Hugh Watkins