Keelan Giles scores against Munster

Brave Ospreys fall short in BKT URC Quarter-Final

Munster got off to a flyer in the first URC quarter final, instantly imposing themselves on the scoreboard through a Zebo try. Crowley converted. Munster 7 - 0 Ospreys.

TRY FOR OSPREYS! The boys answered back almost instantly! With penalty advantage, Rueben played a smart chip over the top which was recovered by Owen Watkin. He passed it out the back door to Morgan Morris, who popped it to Keelan to finish with aplomb. What hands from the back line!  Yet another try of the season contender. Owen Williams converted. Munster 7 - 7 Ospreys.

The Ospreys front row were putting early pressure on the Munster scrum, forcing several restarts on their opposition ball before winning the penalty in their first put in.

Despite an even next 10 minutes, Munster put themselves back into the lead after a rolling maul powered over the line. Crowley converted. Munster 14 - 7 Ospreys.

The boys were putting in some massive hits on the defensive side, giving the Munster ball carriers very little time to think against a fast Ospreys line.

The next red zone opportunity fell to Munster, but tenacious try line defence from the boys meant that the home team could only come away with three. Munster 17 - 7 Ospreys.

Not long after the Munster score, the Ospreys found themselves deep in enemy territory with a lineout. They opted to go for a smart move down the blindside, but the home team were able to read it and tackle into touch.

As Owen Williams ran down the touchline and around RG Snyman it looked like it might be on as he tried to offload to Tips, but a Munster defender purposefully knocked the ball on to give the Ospreys a penalty. 

With a penalty on the Munster five, the front row clearly liked how the scrum had gone as they opted for another. But, the referee believed the home team had the upper hand and a Munster penalty allowed them to clear their lines.

Despite the Ospreys finishing the half on top, the score line remained 17-7 as the teams went in for the break.




Munster put the Ospreys under early pressure in the second half with some successive carrying near the line. But relentless try line defence, including a try saving tackle from Morgan Morris, prevented the opposition from crossing the line. The home side persisted but the Ospreys defence stood strong and won a turnover.

Keiran Williams and Morgan Morris were making a real impact on the defensive side of the ball, putting in some dominant tackles throughout.

As we passed the 55-minute-mark, Munster entered the Ospreys 22 again but a well organized Ospreys defence meant that they were unable to come away with a try.

Soon after Munster won a penalty at the scrum and add to their tally. Crowley converted. Munster 20 - 7 Ospreys.

With a penalty between the 22 and the 10, Munster extended their lead with another Crowley penalty. 23-7 to the home side.

As we entered the final 20 the boys were able to hold possession in the midfield and fight for every inch. But, the Munster defence was determined and there was no way through.

Another Munster penalty saw a rare mistake from Crowley who sliced the kick. Nagy gathered well and ran the ball once more to the Munster defensive line. 

The final minutes of the game continued in much the same vein: valiant effort from an Ospreys team who wouldn't give us, versus a strong Munster defensive that was enough to see it out. 



Thank you to all the supporters who travelled to Thomond Park, and to everyone who's cheered us on at home this season. We couldn't do it without you and we're so proud to have you on our team.