Youngsters enjoy Super Series

The Ospreys U18s Women enjoyed a profitable day at the WRU RAG Women’s U18 Super Series on Sunday, with two wins and a draw from their four games.

The youngsters defeated the Scarlets and RGC; drew with Cardiff Blues and lost against the Dragons.

The girls certainly saved the best till last as they stepped up the pace and romped to a seven try win against RGC in the final game..


Cardiff Blues Ladies U18s 5-5 Ospreys Women U18s

In a very even, competitive, game neither team were able to break away on the score-board, the game ending in a 5-5 draw.

The opening encounter proved to be very even but the Blues Ladies were the first to get the scoreboard moving quick hands in midfield seeing Cardiff Blues creating an overlap out wide, Maddi John touching down across the whitewash, taking them into a 5-0 lead.

Minutes before the full-time whistle, the Ospreys pushed the Blues back into their own 22. On this rare visit into Blues territory, the Ospreys women went through the phases before Rosie Carr crashed her way over the line under the sticks to make it a draw.


Scarlets Ladies U18s 10-15 Ospreys Women 18s

For their second game of the day, the Ospreys Women U18s took to the field hoping to improve on the previous performance and indeed they did.

The Scarlets were looking to break the gain line from the off and with only two minutes played, a turnover ball led to the Scarlets putting the ball out wide, using the wing and crossing the line to take them into an early lead.

The Ospreys Women were quick to respond, and a break through the Scarlets defence led to Jaya White rounding off a drive to go over the line to even the score.

The Ospreys were now looking more confident with the ball in hand and after absorbing some Scarlets pressure, a quick-tap penalty saw them break into the Scarlets 22. With ten minutes left to play, going through the phases and using a crash ball, the Ospreys forced their way over the line through Mel Gnojek to give them the lead.

From inside their own 22, a kick and chase from the Scarlets saw them break away to score, which closed the deficit and brought it back to two tries apiece, at 10-10.

This set up an exciting last few minutes of play as the Ospreys once again set up camp in the Scarlets 22 through pressure and forward dominance which saw them suck in the Scarlets defence, leading to Jaya White driving over the line for a final, winning, try of the game.


Ospreys Women U18s 5-10 Dragons Women U18s

The Ospreys Women U18s hoped to make it a second win of the day. However, it was the opposing team who took the honours in this third round.

Amongst even play in the opening stages of the game, a high tackle from the Dragons handed the Ospreys a quick-tap penalty and a break from No.8, allowed them to gain territory. It was an excellent start for the forwards who once again were breaking the gain line regularly.

The Ospreys were persistent, pressurising the Dragons defence and once again, the pick and drive proved influential as it resulted in a try from Emma Tinsley, who dabbed down and took the Ospreys into an early lead.

The Dragons were quick to respond, moving the ball wide in the final quarter of the field and creating an overlap, which gave Catherine Richards the opportunity to secure their first try of the game.

Both sets of defences worked hard in an evenly balanced contest, in which we saw the possession change hands regularly.

In the final minutes of play, from the Ospreys 22, the Dragons moved the ball wide which created space for Tinsley to go over in the corner for her second try of this game, pushing the Dragons into a 5-10 lead.

Despite working hard, the young Ospreys women were unable to recover from this and the Dragons held on for the win.


Ospreys Women U18s 35-0 RGC Women U18s

Within the first minute, the young Ospreys were putting RGC under pressure. This resulted in the ball going wide to Catrin Stacey who crossed the whitewash to score an early try.

With only five minutes on the clock they crossed the line for another try, Jaya White rounded off a bursting run to dab down.

An interception then pushed RGC back into their own 22 where the Ospreys were able to maintain the pressure by going through the phases. The ball was passed out wide, for Rosie Carr to score in the corner, which meant that after only 12 minutes they led 15-0.

The tries continued to come from the Ospreys as after a period of pressure, a pick up and drive in RGC’s 22 saw Mia Davies touch down for their fourth of the game.

Going into the last few minutes of the game Jaya White again crossed over the line, going under the sticks for her second try.

As the Ospreys continued to dominate play, a break from Lowri Davies, who ran 45-metres, saw her score an excellent individual try.

In the dying seconds, another splendid break by Taylor Briggs resulted in a final try for the Ospreys which took the score to 35-0 at the final whistle.