Owen Watkin

Young Ospreys squad come away with historic bonus point win in Jo’burg

Questions around altitude and heat were a common theme in the build-up, but this young Ospreys team played their hearts out for 80 minutes.  The result? A huge bonus point win in Jo’burg and a home draw in the EPCR Challenge Cup knockouts for their troubles.


The first five minutes played out evenly, as the Emirates Lions’ enjoyed possession but the Ospreys’ defence stood strong.

As we surpassed 5 minutes, Lions had a man sent to the bin early on following an elbow to Deavesy’s neck.

Despite the one-man disadvantage, the home team were the first to put the points on the board following a penalty. 3-0 Lions.

TRY FOR OSPREYS! A misplaced crossfield kick went straight into the hands of Mat Proth, who kicked it deep into opposition territory. Owen Watkin was amongst the chasers and blocked the clearance kick before collecting it it under the posts for the score. Dan Eds converts, 7-3 Lions.

The Lions answered right back with a try of their own. A dink over the top of the Ospreys defence was collected by Marius Louw who was able to finish unopposed. 8-7 Lions.

TRY FOR OSPREYS! A 50:22 from Iestyn Hopkins gave the Ospreys some great field position. A superb move from the resulting lineout before George shrugged off a tackle and Ospreys took the lead. Dan Eds converts from a tough angle, 8 - 14 Ospreys.

The Lions almost answered back again, but a superb try saving effort from Keelan and Deavesy meant saw Ospreys able to hold the ball up.

Lions were next to grab a try, but the TMO reversed the decision. The Ospreys managed to stop the rolling maul but some big carries in the next few phases eventually got the home team their score, before try was disallowed for a double movement.

The Emirates Lions had a penalty advantage prior to the disallowed try and were able to score soon after a tap and go on the Ospreys’ 5. Conversion missed, 13-14 Ospreys.

With half time approaching, the Lions added to their tally following a well worked move from the lineout. Conversion missed, 18-14 to the home side.




Lions started the second half similarly to the first, with one of their players being sent to the bin for a late shoulder charge on Owen Watkin.

As we approached the 50-minute mark, the Lions were able to extend their lead to seven following a penalty. 21 -14, Lions.

Keelan Giles and Keiran Williams were looking sharp throughout the game, crafting gaps in the Lions defence on a regular basis.

The Ospreys didn’t let the 7 point lead last long: they worked the ball into Lions’ territory well before the home side gave up a penalty that Dan Eds put through the middle of the sticks. 21 -17, Lions.

But Emirates Lions were able to score soon after via a quick tap and go allowed them to dive under the sticks to extend their lead. Try converted, 28-17 Lions.

The boys were next to go close with what would have been a try of the season contender. Reuben Morgan-Williams broke down the blindside before several quality Ospreys offloads almost put them through, but the ball was knocked on.

With 15 minutes to go, Lions received their third sin bin of the game as Cam Jones broke superbly before being pulled down as a home team defender played the ball on the floor.

It appeared that the Lions scored next as a rolling maul went over, but some superb maul defence from the boys meant that the ball was knocked on.

The Lions tried to impose themselves on the Ospreys defence, but trademark jackalling from Deavesy meant that the boys could relieve the pressure and clear the ball.

TRY FOR OSPREYS! Keith from Neath unlocked another gap in the Lions defence before offloading to his support runner Keelan Giles, who powered over for the score. Jack Walsh converts, 28-24 Lions.

With six minutes to play, the boys were not going down without a fight.

STARTS WITH A CAM AND ENDS WITH A CAM! Cam Jones (prop) broke through before offloading to Owen Watkin, who handed the ball off to Cam Jones who went over for the score! Walsh convers, 31-28 Ospreys.

THREE TRIES IN THE LAST 10 MINUTES! Lions had the ball in the Ospreys half and tried to whip it wide, but Morgan Morse intercepted before running half the length of the field to win the game. What an engine, what a win!

A home tie in the European round of 16 secured after a gutsy performance from this young Ospreys team.