WRU Super Six Series Round-Up

The Ospreys U18s were in action on Sunday in the second WRU Super Six Series at Cardiff Arms Park.

  •  The young Ospreys came away with a win, a draw and loss from their three games on the day with some strong, promising performances from the squad
  • After a narrow defeat by RGC in the first round, the Ospreys hit back in the second to score six tries against Blues North for a big win
  • Trailing 10-0 at half time against the Scarlets, the Ospreys made a comeback to take the lead, before a last minute try from the Scarlets left the game all square.

The Super six consisted of the four professional regions, the North Wales development region (RGC), and Welsh Exiles - Welsh qualified under 19 players based outside of Wales. Each side played the 30 minute games throughout the day, with slight rule changes in place to put an emphasis on fast, running rugby. 

Round 1

First up for the Ospreys U18s were RGC. Straight from the start, the Ospreys were powerful in attack, punishing RGC back into their own half and a clear break from Cameron Lewis saw the Ospreys open the scores with just three minutes on the clock. 

RGC looked to answer back, but a strong defence from the Ospreys put RGC into touch.

Securing a penalty from a scrum, a kick to touch put the Ospreys deep in RGC’s 22. Powerful carries from the pack and a quick offload saw Bradley Roderick race over for the second try of the game, taking the Osprey 10-0 ahead.

Fighting their way back into the game, RGC turned their attack up a gear, trying their best to puncture the Ospreys defence.  With the phases stacking up, RGC finally burst their way through for their first try. 

Momentum was now in RGC’s favour and another powerful attack saw them make their way into the Ospreys half. With the penalty count stacking up against the Ospreys, the referee eventually awarded a yellow card to Ollie Quick.

Taking advantage of the extra man, RGC spotted the gap to slot over their second try and even the score at the half time mark.

Half Time Ospreys U18s 10 - 10 RGC U18s

Still with the one man advantage, RGC kept attacking deep in the Ospreys 22 but powerful tackles from the Ospreys kept them at bay again.

Back up to their full complement, it was the Ospreys turn to turn on the attack and quick line speed saw them carry the ball well, but an overthrow left the ball hurtling into touch, putting RGC back in possession.

With both sides in the hunt for the winning try, both were relentless in attack as they tried to gain the upper hand. Eventually, with one minute left on the clock, a quick take from RGC saw them run over the line for the winning try. 

Full Time Ospreys U18s 10 - 15 RGC U18s


Round 2 

Next up for the Ospreys were the Blues North.

The Ospreys struggled to gain any possession in the opening five minutes of the game, with the Blues firmly in control, the Ospreys defending valiantly to keep the Blues at bay.

It wasn't until the ninth minute that the Ospreys finally gained some momentum. Turning over the Blues in the Ospreys 22, a powerful run up the pitch from the backs, and a beautifully timed chip kick nicely found the hands of Ben Cambriani who ran under the posts to score.

Still in control, the Ospreys kept the pressure on and some great offloads pace made way for Josh Thomas to score the second try, taking the Ospreys further ahead at half time.

Half Time Ospreys U18s 10 - 0 Blues U18s North

The Ospreys came out for the second half determined not to let their hard work in the first slip. Dominant carries from the forwards, backed up by their backs saw Cambriani clinch his second try out wide.

Still in possession and dominating territory, some impressive offloads from the pack saw Dewi Cross score the Ospreys fourth of the game.

Then just a minute later, more dynamic work from the pack left Tiaan Thomas Wheeler blitzing through the Blues defence to take the Ospreys 25-0 ahead.

With a healthy lead, the Ospreys let their guard down momentarily, the Blues spotting an easy break to get their name on the board, 25-5.

But wanting to come away with the last say after controlling the game, quick work from Iwan Temblett gave the Ospreys their sixth and final of the game.

Full Time Ospreys U18s 30 - 5 Blues U18s North


Round 3

In the final round the Ospreys faced the Scarlets.

The Ospreys struggled to gain any momentum in the opening stages of the game. The Scarlets forcing the penalties onto the Ospreys, left them driving their way closer to the tryline each time. 

Eventually the Scarlets pack powered their way through the Ospreys defence, giving the Scarlets the early lead. 

And just two minutes later, another strong defensive effort from the Ospreys was left overshadowed by a quick paced Scarlets line. Their pack breaking through once again for their second try, leaving the Ospreys with nothing on the board at the break. 

Half Time Ospreys U18s 0 - 10 Scarlets U18s 

Trying to get into the game in the second half, the Ospreys were still on the defensive but a nicely ripped ball from the forwards, put the Ospreys in control. Frankie Jones took quick advantage to race over for the try.

The Scarlets looked to take back control, making their way deep into the Ospreys half, but a turnover and quick take saw Iwan Tremblett run the length of the field to score the Ospreys second try to level things.

Looking to take the lead, and the win, the Ospreys secured a penalty and the lineout put the Ospreys in a strong attacking position. They were able to pushed their way forward and Dewi Cross raced over the whitewash to put the Ospreys ahead 15-10. 

Despite Ospreys efforts to hang on to the lead a nicely timed break from the Scarlets back line saw them shake off the Ospreys defence to score the try, with no time left for a restart leaving both sides with three tries a piece.  

Full Time Ospreys U18s 15 - 15 Scarlets U18s