Wales U20s lose to England

Bridgend and Ospreys teenager, Owen Watkin, scored Wales’ only try as they lost their second game of the World Rugby U20 Championship on Saturday night, 30-16 to England in Calvisano.

The reigning world champions, back to back winners in 2013 and 2014, were dominant for most of the match, after Rory Jennings gave England an early lead with his boot.

Aaron Morris was sent to the sin bin after he denied Wales a certain try after a run by Tomos Williams, the England full back knocking down the scrum half's pass with players outside him lining up to score in the corner.

England looked anything like a man down when they shunted centre Max Clark over the try-line after good work by winger Nick Tompkins. Clark's conversion gave England a 10-0 lead after 10 minutes.

Wales suffered a double injury blow with No 8 Harrison Keddie and Rory Thornton forced off through injury to be replaced by Jon Fox and Seb Davies respectively.

Winger Howard Packman showed a lethal finishing touch when he scored in the corner as England took a firm grip of the game.

Thornton returned to the action with a patched up cheek in the 26th minute but he was powerless when England scored their third try when scrum half Stuart Townsend pounced from short range after taking a quick tap penalty.

Wales finally got on the scoreboard with a penalty by Jarrod Evans in the 32nd minute but England quickly cancelled that out when Jennings replied two minutes later to leave his side firmly in control, leading 25-3.

Centre Watkin gave Wales a glimmer of hope when he scored on the stroke of halftime after pilfering the ball under England noses near their own try-line. Evans' conversion left Wales trailing 25-10 at the break.

Evans chiselled another three points off the lead with an early second half penalty and clawed back a further three points in the 61st minute after Wales hit a purple patch, taking the game to England.

England's rolling maul from a short range lineout proved unstoppable with Sam Skinner claiming his side's fourth try of the evening.

Tom Phillips received a yellow card in the 73rd minute which left Wales a man down for the rest of the game but to their credit Wales held out England who remain unbeaten after two games while Wales are yet to register their first scalp.

Scorers: England:
Try: Max Clark, Howard Packman, Stuart Townsend, Sam Skinner; Cons: Jennings (2); Pens: Rory Jennings (2)

Try: Owen Watkin; Con: Jarrod Evans; Pen: Evans (3)