Wales claim victory over Scotland

Wales recorded their first win of an Autumn series in 16 years against Scotland on Saturday afternoon.

Alun Wyn Jones was able to lift aloft the Doddie Weir Cup after leading his Welsh side to their first win on the opening day of an Under Armour Series since 2002 as they beat Scotland 21-10.

There were tries from George North and Jonathan Davies to savour for the 63,188 fans at Principality Stadium, with Davies announcing his return to the international arena after a year on the sidelines with injury with the best score of the game.

A set-piece move off a line-out 35 metres out saw Gareth Anscombe set his centre racing through a big hole after fending off opposite number Huw Jones. North brushed aside three defenders to bag his 34th try for Wales in the first half and could have had a second.

A foot in touch as he raced onto a great chip ahead by Anscombe 13 minutes into the first half ruled out what would have been the first try of the game. The Scots also had two second half tries ruled out by the TMO.

Giant lock Jonny Gray was spotted making a double movement as he drove for the line and then Peter Horne was spotted dropping a chip over the top of the Welsh defence by brother George nine minutes from time.

Wales full back Leigh Halfpenny kicked three first half penalties and converted Davies' try to move through the 700 points barrier for Wales. His hat-trick of penalties, and that North try, made it 14-10 at the break to the home side.

Five minutes after North had crashed over for his score, visiting skipper Stuart McInally converted a driving line-out to grab a try that Adam Hastings converted to add to his earlier penalty. That was as good as it got for the Scots, despite enjoying 60% possession and 64% territory throughout the game.

It was a sixth win in a row for Wales this year and now they move on to face World Cup rivals Australia in round two of the Under Armour Series on Saturday. They were forced to play for 10 minutes with 14 men in the second half when replacement hooker Elliot Dee picked up a yellow card, but defended their line resolutely to deny the Scots' any second half points.

Justin Tipuric picked up the man of the match award for his brilliant, all-round performance and Cardiff Blues outside half came on two minutes from time to win his first cap.