Wales break losing streak against Australia

A late penalty saw Wales secure their first victory over Australia in a decade in what was an intense Test match at the Principality Stadium on Saturday evening.

A late Dan Biggar penalty saw Wales clinch their first victory over the Wallabies in 10 years. A man of the match winning performance from Ospreys captain Tipuric kept the Welsh defence holding strong.  And with the scores level at 6-6 and five minutes to play, Ned Hanigan was penalised at the breakdown allowing the former Ospreys man to kick Wales to a 9-6 win which ended their Wallaby jinx.

Wales ace Leigh Halfpenny kicked six points with Australia's Bernard Foley and Matt To'omua also successful from the tee.

But it was Biggar who stepped up to edge the game in Wales' favour.

After a frenetic opening quarter it was Wales who opened the scoring with Halfpenny making amends for an earlier miss with a successful penalty after the home scrum demolished the Australian eight.

Wales set off on a counter attack from the restart with the ball bouncing into Jonathan Davies' hands and the centre unleashed Josh Adams down the touchline.

Foley then levelled the scores with a penalty attempt from 40 metres out after Dan Lydiate was penalised for being offside.

Wales were handed an opportunity to retake the lead at the stroke of half time when Allan Alaalatoa was penalised for being off his feet at the breakdown, but Halfpenny's attempt drifted wide.

It meant the score remained 3-3 at the interval.

Wales began the second 40 with real attacking intent as Halfpenny gained field position after a terrific take from his own up and under.

The hosts stretched the Wallaby defence sideways, but the attack came to nothing as David Pocock won his first penalty at the breakdown.

Australia began to get on top and came close to breaking Wales' resilience when Dane Haylett-Petty broke clear only to be brought down in the Wales 22 by Halfpenny.

Australia were awarded a penalty for an infringement at the breakdown, but instead of opting for a straightforward three points, they went for the corner. Their gamble failed to pay off as the line-out was overthrown.

Davies eventually booted the visitors back into their own half.

Wales were finally on the attack as Scarlets centre Davies brushed off Kurtley Beale before releasing Adams on the outside. The Worcester winger beat two men before being brought down by Israel Folau with the ball spilled forward by replacement scrum-half Tomos Williams.

Despite having to defend for much of the second half, Wales showed bags of character to claw their way back into Australia's 22 and replacement away hooker Tatafu Polotau-Nau was penalised at the breakdown. 

This time Halfpenny made no mistake with the resulting penalty to put Wales into the lead. Wales were now full of confidence and pushed hard for a try which would have put the game beyond doubt. 

As he looked to clear the ball, Halfpenny was then wiped out late by Samu Kerevi. The Australian's hit was deemed to be legal and Australia were then given an opportunity to level the scores.

Replacement To'omua was successful with the penalty from 30 metres out, but ales refused to throw in the towel and came fighting back with Biggar sealing a famous win in the dying embers.