U16's in romp, U18's lose out in tight affair

There were mixed results for the Eyasses against RGC1404 on Sunday, with the U16's running in nine tries to secure a comprehensive win at Tata Steel RFC in Margam while the U18's were narrowly defeated at Llandarcy Academy of Sport.

It was one-way traffic at Tata as the Eyasses took the lead with an Adam Green try in the opening minute, converted by Joe Thomas, and they never looked. Within 15 minutes theyd bagged another three tries, from Luke Jenkins, Tom Evans and Jack Anderson, with further tries then coming before the break through by Oliver Thompson, Joe Thomas and a second for Evans, Thomas adding three more conversions from Thomas to send the Young Ospreys in at the break with a 43-0 lead.

They kept the pressure on after the restart, Thomas converting his second try before adding the extras to a Joe Gage score to complete the scoring in the 57th minute, and although the Eyasses played the closing stages with 14 men after a yellow was shown to openside Jack Perkins, they were able to complete a shut-out against their visitors from North Wales, the final score a resounding 57-0 to the hosts.

Meanwhile, it was a much closer affair just up the M4, where the visitors just came out on top 24-21 in a keenly contested U18 affair. There were a number of changes to the Ospreys line-up for this game, with coaches looking to continue the development of the wider squad, allowing more players to get game-time. With a completely new front five combination for the Eyasses, RGC were able to dominate up front throughout.

The first half ended 17-7 to RGC, tries from Harry Evans and Dion Jones putting them in the driving seat, fullback Jones also adding seven points with his boot. In response, the Eyasses points came from fly-half Liam Popham who converted his own try.

After the break and early try from Jamie Thomas, Popham converting, brought the hosts back into contention only for RGC to strike back through Mike Jones, his namesake Dion again adding the extras to seemingly make the game safe.

However, there was a late rally from the Eyasses, scrum half Will Batcup crossing for a try in the closing stages and although Popham again converted, the young Ospreys were unable to claw back the final three points at RGC held out for a three-point victory, final score 21-24.