A Thorough Test For Young Ospreys

On their exploits across the Severn Bridge the Young Ospreys came away with a 3 and 1 scoreline.

At the home of Army Rugby at Aldershot a large crowd were were thoroughly entertained by both the Young Ospreys and their opponents Northampton.  Up first were the under 16's in their first outing together. The first half proved a difficult challenge for newcomers at this level of the game and it took 25 minutes for them to make any impression on the scoreboard. At this stage a well worked team try was finished off by flanker Reilly Kehoe. At the interval Northampton were deserved leaders by 12 points to 5. However, as is the rule on these development tours the selectors made 13 changes at half time and this new team seemed to come to terms with regional rugby at a quicker pace than the first half team as they strode on to score 13 unanswered points and a win by 18 points to 12. Centre Tom Pridey kicked two penalties and converted full back Sam Hughes' try. In the second game the under 18's again found their opponents a difficult "nut to crack" until two converted tries in the space of a couple of minutes established a comfortable cushion at half time. Again a new team took the feild in the second half and they were also good enough to add a further try and an impressive 21 points to 8 victory was recorded. Try scorers were scrum half Anthony Busselli, centre Kristian Phillips and wing Deke Morse; outside half Matthew Jarvis converted two and his replacement Craig Davies one. The tour was concluded with fixtures against the Saracens at Old Albanians RFC on Friday afternoon (24th). Again the players were exposed to large crowds as a number of friends and family made the long journey from "Ospreylia". The under 16's again made wholesale changes to look at different partnerships and the first half team again found it difficult to make an impression on their opponents. At half time they only had a try by wing Bowdy Davies on the scoreboard and they trailed by 12 points to 5. However, once again the second half team seemed to adapt more effectively to regional rugby and they ensured that they kept their unbeaten record with 21 unanswered points. Tries by wings Tom Habberfield and Brian Barlow were superbly converted by full back Jonathon Phillips and scrum half Danny Davies' try was converted by outside half Cameron Clement. In the under 18 game the experiment of making changes to look at different partnerships was too much of a challenge on this ocassion and the team were well beaten by 24 points to 12. Some of the experienced players at this level will already know that they cannot afford to miss out on some of the scoring opportunities that they created. Centre Kristian Phillips scored a first half try and open side flanker Guy Jones' second half try was converted by outsidfe half Matthew Jarvis. Unfortunately an excellent development tour was spoiled by the fact that hooker Jonathon Vaughan (pictured) damaged knee ligaments and could be out of action for a number of weeks.