Super Sixteens

Despite topping the Reebok table on try count at the end of the season, the Young Ospreys were cast as outsiders for the actual title. Nevertheless, the group didn't see it that way and went into the contest quietly confident.

Last nights deserved victory (pictured celebrating courtesy of by 14 points to 7 was achieved because of the committment of the whole group throughout an 18 month development programme. The players have bought into the hard work ethic that is encouraged throughout the Osprey system and have been matured by a group of coaches who know what is required to be successful at this level. Head coach Alex Evans and his assistants David Jones and Paul Yardley have put a mass of time into advancing the players skills and tactical appreciation. They have been ably assisted by skills coaches Jeff Pick and Dan Cotterell, who have been charged with doing the little extra bits with the players.   As for the game itself the Young Ospreys had the better of the first half in both territory and possession; but neither side was able to take any of their opportunities and it was all square without a point being scored at the interval. Although there wasn't score it certainly wasn't a boring game as both sides moved the ball wide when possible, only to be thwarted by well organised defences. However it was impressive Young Ospreys No. 8 Dan Baker (pictured courtesy of who broke the stalemate with a try that centre Andrew Collins converted. Despite having been under the cosh the Blues North responded by exerting a great deal of pressure themselves which eventually resulted in a try under the posts for lock McCauley Cook which was converted by outside half Joseff Griffin.  With only a few minutes remaining it looked like a draw was on the cards and the announcer at the ground let everyone know that in the case of a draw the trophy would be shared. This certainly seemed to spur on outside half Owen Williams who called wing Bowdy Davies into mid field and made him aware that he would grubber kick through if the Blues North defence was up flat. As they raced up in defence Williams was true to his word and Davies won a spectacular race to the line. Williams duly converted and the team then played out a nervous couple of minutes before the referee whistled for no side  and the celebrations began.