Scarlets U16s 10- 43 Ospreys U16s

Looking for their first win as a combined squad to end their season, the Ospreys U16s took on the Scarlets combined at Parc Y Scarlets on Saturday.

  • The Ospreys scored seven tries in a big win, with Morgan Strong, Jae Key, Daniel O’Sullivan, Dan Hiscoks, James Fender all touching down and a double from Sam Costelow
  • A dominant display in both attack and defence secured the young Ospreys a well deserved win

First off the mark, the young Ospreys wasted no time in attacking the opposition.

A penalty against the hosts for an offside saw the Ospreys opting for the lineout to take them closer to the line.


A powerful driving maul from the pack paved the way for number eight, Morgan Strong, to crash over for the opening try, Sam Costelow with the conversion.


A great break from Dan Hiscoks then saw the scrum-half carry over halfway before being brought down.


The Scarlets then pressed, only for a quick turnover and break from Ospreys hooker, Jae Key, left the Scarlets struggling to regroup and cover, Key eventually rounding the attack off with the game’s second try The conversion was off target, but the Eyasses led12-0.


The Ospreys were in control and their next try arrived only two minutes later. Bradley Roderick was the creator, spotting an overlap from his fellow centre Daniel O’Sullivan who glided over for the Ospreys to score to make it 17-0 with twenty minutes played.


At the other end, a driving maul from the Scarlets saw captain Sam Williams crash over the line and then, as they built momentum on their side, Theo Barnes-Watson eventually punctured the Ospreys defence after multiple phases of attack, narrowing the deficit to seven at half time.


Half Time - Scarlets 10 - 17 Ospreys U16’s


The Ospreys began the second half positively and a short lineout caught the Scarlets off guard, with quick interplay from the half-backs sending Costelow over for the fourth try, which Costelow himself converted.


It wasn’t long before try number five came after a side stepping attack from Hiscoks saw the scrum-half go over the whitewash. Costelow was again on target with the conversion and the scoreboard now read 10-31 with 20 minutes left to play.


With a lineout secured just outside the Scarlets 22, a nice throw to the first man saw the front row carry the ball closer to the line. Protecting the ball well in a driving maul, James Fender found his route clear to score the sixth try for the Ospreys. Costelow easily adding the extras brought the scores to 10-38.


Punishing the Scarlets defence, the Ospreys once again found themselves in the Scarlets 22. Relentless pressure through the phases saw Costelow ease his way over for his second try of the game which went unconverted.


With five minutes left to play, the Ospreys were forced to defend as the Scarlets pressed, going close to try number three only for the referee to call it as held up.


Not wanting to come away empty handed from all that late opressure, the Scarlets looked for the try once more but an outstanding effort from the Ospreys ensured the Scarlets wing ended in touch before crossing the line, denying the hosts any points in the second half.