Ospreys West clinch tight victory over Cardiff South

Ospreys West finished their first regional block with a hard fought 21-12 victory over Cardiff Rugby South at the Gnoll.

Ospreys came out firing putting Cardiff under early pressure. Emrys Jones kicked a superb 50/22 to give his side an attacking platform. However, Cardiff’s defence dealt with the pressure and turned the ball over to clear.

The visitors worked their way down to the opposite end of the field through several penalties. After kicking to the corner their pack powered their way towards the line. Hooker Ruben Cummings broke off the back to score. Dylan Davies converted.

Ospreys had a long spell of pressure inside the Cardiff 22, Jack Hoskins and Evan Morris both made breaks towards the try line. Eventually, prop Callum Bolland drove his way over the try line from a tap penalty. Jones converted.

The hosts stepped up their intensity, half-backs Cai Gealey and Jones were controlling the territory and forcing Cardiff onto the back foot. However, the away side’s pack dealt with a sustained period of pressure towards the end of the half, once again turning the ball over clear their lines.

Half time: Ospreys West 7 – 7 Cardiff South

Ospreys piled on more pressure early in the second half. Their pack worked hard through the phases before the ball went wide through the backs, unfortunately just as they looked set the score they spilled the ball metres from the line.

Cardiff winger Salem Mbimu Kiambi was sent to the sin bin after the away side had conceded numerous penalties in the red zone.

The home side were finally rewarded for their pressure, flanker Evan Webber spotted a gap and burst through the defence to score. Jones converted.

Cardiff responded well to going behind, they forced Ospreys to make mistakes inside their own 22. Prop Movado Hall forced his way over the try line to score, moments before Kiambi returned from the sin bin. Finn Pasley missed the conversion.

The hosts were pegged back in their 22 once again but kept Cardiff out superbly. Webber forced his way over the ball and won a brilliant turnover to alleviate the pressure.

As the clock ticked down Cardiff were applying further pressure on the Ospreys defence. They tried moving the ball wide, but Ospreys skipper Hoskins intercepted and sprinted the length of the pitch to seal the match for his side. Jones added the extras.

Full time: Ospreys West 21- 12 Cardiff South


Match Report by Tobias Hunt