Ospreys U18s 37 - 24 Blues North U18s

With two outstanding wins under their belt this season, the Ospreys U18s took on the Blues North at The Gnoll on Wednesday evening in the hunt for their third win.

  • Tiaan Thomas Wheeler, Ben Cambriani, Dyfan Ceredig, Chris Crumpton and Frankie Jones all crossed the line for a try
  • Luke Scully kicked 12 points for his side in an outstanding performance from the Eyasses
  • Despite being reduced to 14 men at one stage, the young squad defended valiantly to deny their opponents any points during Travis Huntly’s sinbinning

With a quick four day turnaround from their last win on Sunday, against the Blues South, the Ospreys were looking to do the double against the Blues sides, facing the Blues North last night.

In no sign of fatigue from their last game, the Ospreys wasted no time getting points on the board. Turning the ball over from the restart a break through from Tiaan Thomas Wheeler gave the Ospreys the opening try. Luke Scully slotted the conversion to put the Ospreys 7-0 ahead after only two minutes played.

But the Blues North were quick to answer back with a try of their own, lock Cian Lewis Hughes crashing over the line through the Ospreys defence, Rhys Davies with the conversion to even the scores.

Looking to gain back the lead, a great steal from Tom Davies at the restart put the Ospreys back in possession. Earning a penalty for not rolling away put the Ospreys in a great attacking position to take the lead, Scully opting to take the three points.

Just like before, the Blues answered back immediately, securing a penalty in line with the posts Rhys Davies kicked the three points to even the scores once again.

But the Ospreys kept control of the game, dominating the attack and territory and another penalty for their opponents not rolling away gave Scully another shot at goal which he duly slotted over.

Before the Blues had a chance to answer back this time, pressure from the Ospreys in their own half secured the turnover, and a superb pick up from Ben Cambriani saw the wing race up field for the Ospreys second try of the game. The conversion went wide, but the Ospreys went in at the break 18-10 ahead.

Half Time Ospreys U18s 18 - 10  Blues North U18s

Coming out for the second half, the Ospreys looked to continue their dominance and control of the lead, and that they did.

Deep in the Blues 22, powerful work from the pack made room for Dyfan Ceredig to score under the posts. Captain Scully, despite having a heavily strapped ankle, still managed to kick the conversion to put the Ospreys 25-10 ahead.

But once again the Blues answered back instantly, as a quick attack from the visitors saw them break through the Ospreys defence to score a try. The conversion narrowed the deficit to eight points and, with momentum on their side, the Blues grabbed another try just minutes later. Davies’ conversion meant that the Eyasses now led by a solitary point.

With the penalties stacking up against the Ospreys, the referee’s patience finally ran out, Travis Huntly receiving a yellow card that left the Ospreys with 14 men and in a dangerous position as the Blues looked well poised to secure the lead for the first time.

However the Ospreys kept their composure, leaving the Blues struggling to break through their brick wall defence.

Then, in an entertaining stage of play the Ospreys managed to carry the ball into the Blues 22, working their way through the phases and some nice handling from the squad created the opportunity for Chris Crumpton to crash his way over the line for the try.

Scully added the extras to take the Ospreys 32-24 ahead with five minutes left to play.

Back up to the full squad, the Ospreys weren’t ready to let the Blues answer back this time.

Their defence held strong and a crucial turnover saw Frankie Jones race the length of the field chasing the ball, overtaking his opposite number and grounding the ball over the line to claim the Ospreys fifth try of the game.

The conversion bounced off the posts leaving the score 37-24 as the referee blew the full time whistle.

Next up for the U18s is a trip to face the Scarlets on Wednesday 6th September.