Ospreys U16s West 40 – 7 Scarlets West U16s

It was another successful evening for the Ospreys U16s West as an all-round display of rugby saw them make the most of home-advantage to dominate play and claim a resounding win.


  • A double for Iestyn Lewis as well as tries from Brandon Jones, Cameron Jones, George Dunn and Tommy Payne saw the young Ospreys gain a big 33-point win.
  • Dan Edwards’ added 10 points with his boot.
  • The Ospreys U16s West look forward to next week’s match as they travel to Parc Eirias in North Wales to take on RGC on 24th February, K.O. 2pm.


For the second game in a row, the Ospreys U16s West were on the front foot, following up last week’s resounding 64-14 win over Dragons Red, with another comprehensive victory, this time outscoring Scarlets West U16s by six tries to one at St. Helens.

From the off the young Ospreys applied pressure to the Scarlets’ defence through the forwards and backs interlinking, as the majority of the rugby in the opening exchanges was played in the visitors’ half.

A Scarlets’ infringement handed the Ospreys a penalty which saw them opt for a scrum on the Scarlets’ 5m line, leading to Brandon Jones forcing his way across the line to open the scoring, Dan Edwards with the conversion. 

A series of infringements by the Scarlets allowed the hosts to gain territory and pressurise the visitors. From an Ospreys lineout on the opposition 22, quick ball from the top was given to Edwards who switched play to the narrow side, and after some strong work from Tiegue Williams, Tommy Payne received the ball on the wing and raced over the line. Edwards with the extras, to push the hosts into a 14-point lead with only 10-minutes played.

A lovely kick behind the back three by Edwards kept the pressure on the Scarlets’ line. A poor clearance kick by the Scarlets gave the Ospreys an opportunity for Cameron Jones to hit the hole under the sticks. Edwards again found the posts for the extra two and took the young Ospreys into a 21-point lead.

A kick and chase from the Scarlets allowed them to cross the gain line and make a rare visit to the Ospreys’ 22. While going through the phases and for the first time asking questions of the hosts, the Scarlets were caught infringing and handed the Ospreys a penalty – who kicked deep for touch and relieved this pressure.

As half-time approached, the Scarlets finally got off the mark. From a maul on the Ospreys 10m line, Dion Jones travelled down the narrow side and offloaded to Jac Edwards who used his speed to go over in the corner untouched, converted by Osian Hill.

There was still time for the hosts to respond as a Scarlets’ close to their 22 was stolen, George Dunn crossing the line in the corner from 15-metres out, which went unconverted.


From the restart, the Ospreys continued to control things.

After the Ospreys went through the phases, a darting run by George Devine who travelled 20 metres to cross the gain line, saw the hosts threaten the Scarlets’ line. The young Ospreys were awarded a penalty which resulted in a lineout 5m out.

A catch and drive by the Ospreys saw them cross the line, but the try was disallowed. From a resulting scrum 5-metres out, the young Ospreys, undeterred, quickly pushed the ball to the middle channel where Iestyn Lewis charged for the line and rounded off his drive to dab down under the sticks. Edwards with the extras, which extended the hosts’ lead to 33-7.

After a high tackle by the Scarlets’ Joe Emberson Marl saw them reduced to 14 men as the game entered into the final quarter. 

With their tails up, the hosts capitalised on their numerical advantage and after ringing the changes, they also saw the benefits of the fresh legs. A steal from a Scarlets’ lineout on their own 22, saw the Ospreys go through the phases and punch holes in the visitors’ defence. After a period of broken play, the young Ospreys pushed the ball wide for Lewis who sliced through the Scarlets’ defence to cross theline to make it a try double for the young outside centre. Edwards once again slotted the posts for the extras and took the score to 40-7 in the dying minutes.