Ospreys U16s West 24-19 Scarlets U16s West

The Ospreys U16s West secured their first win from this block of fixtures last night against the Scarlets West at Llandarcy Academy of Sport.

  • Tries from Jaxon James, Rhydian Lerwell, Cameron Clayfield and Rhys Bolton secured the bonus point win for the young squad.
  • Battling their way back from a 12 point deficit in the first half, Ospreys West showed great character to earn the win.

The Scarlets were the first to put points on the board, building the phases and pulling in Ospreys defenders to create room for Rhys Kemble to score the opening try which went unconverted.

With momentum on their side, the Scarlets enjoyed the majority of possession and it came as no surprise when Ieuan Badham went over for try number two. Ilan Phillips converted to put the Scarlets further ahead at 0-12 with half hour played.

Just minutes later the Ospreys hit back, turning the ball over before a nice chip through from centre Iestyn Morgan took play deep into the Scarlets half. Securing their own lineout after tackling a Scarlets player into touch, a driving maul from the pack sent hooker Jaxon James powering over the line for the Ospreys first try.

Declan Thomas added the conversion to narrowed the gap to five points.

As half time approached, the Ospreys pushed for their second try. Going through the phases  and working their way into the Scarlets 22, the pack came agonisingly close to the line only for good defensive work from the Scarlets to keep their line intact beforethe half time whistle.

Half Time -  Ospreys U16’s West 7  12  Scarlets West

Emerging for the second half, the Ospreys dominated the next stage of play, keeping the Scarlets back in their own half. A beautiful run from skipper Dan Hiscoks took the Ospreys deep into the 22, but strong defence kept them at bay. 

Still enjoying possession, the Ospreys earned a penalty for a Scarlet not rolling away, and a quick tap and go sent flanker Rhydian Lerwell over the line to equal the scores. Another nicely struck conversion from Thomas put the Ospreys ahead 14-12.

The Scarlets looked to hit straight back but a loose pass made its way into Ospreys hands, and an outstanding break from Olly Winchester saw the wing make his way from his own 22 to the Scarlets 22. Kicking through in an attempt to gain more ground, it was a race for the ball which was won by the Scarlets wing, but great support from the pack, saw the Scarlets player thrown into touch securing the Ospreys lineout.

Winning their lineout, a driving maul but the Scarlets defence under pressured the before  the backs moved the ball, allowing fullback Cameron Clayfield to go over the whitewash in the corner. The conversion was just short, but the Ospreys led 19-12 with 20 minutes left to play.

The bonus point try came 10 minutes later , Rhys Bolton touching down at the back of a driving maul for an unconverted score.

The Scarlets weren’t ready to give up the fight after going close on more than one occasion, a scrum close to the Ospreys line saw  Owen Jones score the visitors’ third try of the game, Phillips with the conversion to bring his team back to within five points with only four minutes left of play.

As the Scarlets pressed for a winner the Ospreys dug in deep to deny the Scarlets any opportunities and as the clock moved into over time the Ospreys were able to secure a penalty, allowing them to kick the ball dead to end a great game of expansive rugby from both sides.

Next up for the West side is a trip to Colwyn Bay, to face RGC on Sunday 19th February K.O 1pm.