Ospreys U16s roundup

The Ospreys U16s East and West sides were both involved in a summer rugby festival at Ystrad Mynach against their fellow Welsh regions on Wednesday.

The two teams each played three matches, the West enjoying a win, a loss and a draw, while the East were beaten twice and won once.


Ospreys West 

Game 1 

First game of the day was an early start for the Ospreys West U16s, kicking off at 10am against the Blues North.

In what was the first taste of regional rugby for the majority of the squad, the boys faced tough competition against a strong Blues North.  The Blues started the game quickly with some aggressive tackling and quick play which led to the first try of the game.

A missed conversion left the scores 5-0 to the Blues North. The young Ospreys fired back after growing into the game nicely, with some good patterns of play and their own aggressive play leading to a try under the posts from Joe Hawkins. A conversion from Iestyn Morgan put the Ospreys ahead 5-7 going into the break.

The second half started with the Ospreys on the front foot in both defence and attack. Putting the pressure on their opponents kept them in control, but loose passes and handling errors left them unable to put points on the board.

But in the last stages of play, good work through the phases left room for winger George Sheppard to squeeze over the line in the corner to earn the West side a well deserved win.

Final Score - Blues North  5 - 12 Ospreys West


Game 2

Next up for the West side were the Blues South. With momentum on their side after a deserved win in their first game, the Ospreys looked to continue their winning run.

Both sides started well, in an evenly matched contest neither were able to gain the upper hand on the other. Eventually the Blues South were able to break through the Ospreys defence to gain a try. A conversion took them ahead 7-0 at the end of the first half.

The second half started much like the first, in an even contest, but the Blues once more just edged the collision with some powerful carries from their pack. A strong attack eventually led to the Blues’ second try of the game, which was unconverted. As much as the young Ospreys tried to attack, the Blues defence proved too strong denying their opponents any points on the board.

Final score -  Blues South 12 - 0 Ospreys West


Game 3 

Looking to finish the tournament off with a win, the Ospreys West faced the Dragons South in their final game.

They started off their game well, securing the ball from their set piece and working their way through the phases. Winning a lineout 5m out, the Ospreys looked for their first try. A quick catch and drive saw the pack powering towards the whitewash, only to be met with a strong defence from the Dragons who held them up, denying them any points.

The Ospreys dominated the game from start to finish, with good offloads amongst the forwards and backs taking them deep into the Dragons territory. But the game ended 0-0 with the Dragons defence proving too strong against the Ospreys attack.

Final Score - Dragons South  0 - 0 Ospreys West


Ospreys East

Game 1 

Kicking off at 10:30 just after Ospreys West, first up for the East team were Dragons South.

The young Ospreys kept the Dragons at bay with a great defensive effort from the pack.

Then with seven minutes on the clock a break from the Ospreys saw Keiran Stevens blitz over the try line for the opening score. Conversion by Lloyd Freeman put the Ospreys East 7-0 ahead. 

Coming out for the second half, the young squad wasted no time in conjuring up another attack on the Dragons. Logan Phillips crashing over the line for the Ospreys’ second of the game. Freeman on target with the conversion extended their lead 14-0. With just under ten minutes left to play. 

The  Ospreys defence held up well in the closing few minutes against the Dragons attack, denying their opponents any points on the board at the final whistle.

Final Score - Ospreys East 14 - 0 Dragons South


Game 2 

With momentum on their side the Ospreys East also looked to continue their winning run, in their second game against Blues North. 

The Young Ospreys defended valiantly in the opening few minutes but eventually a break by the Blues saw them win the opening try. A missed conversion left the scores at 5-0 with 5 minutes played.

The Eyasses tried to punch holes in the Blues defence, but kept coming away from their half with nothing on the board.

Coming out for the second half, the Ospreys were on the back foot with the Blues attacking strong in the Ospreys half. 

Then in the 22nd minute the Blues crashed over the line once more extending their lead to 10-0 with another missed conversion. 

The Ospreys tried to attack back to get some points on the board, but once again the Blues defence held up well, leaving the Ospreys with nothing for their efforts.

Final Score - Ospreys East 0 - 10 Blues North


Game 3

With one game and one defeat to their names, the Ospreys East also wanted to end the day with a win. 

Up next was the Dragons North. The Ospreys dominated territory in the opening stages of play, pushing the Dragons deep into their half. With five minutes on the clock Kyan Lloyd burst through the Dragons defence to score the opening try. Freeman converting put the Ospreys ahead with just 6 minutes played.

Despite being ahead going into the second half, the Dragons side returned after the break with full force, scoring two tries within minutes of each other to take the lead out of the Ospreys hands. 

A conversion secured the Dragons the win, leaving the Ospreys East with one win and two defeats from the day. 

Final Score - Ospreys East 7 - 12 Dragons North