Ospreys U16s 31 - 36 Dragons U16s

The Ospreys U16s suffered their first defeat of the round robin U16’s competition on Friday night, falling just short against the Dragons at St Helens.

Tries from Logan Phillips, Callum Dodd, Kieran Stevens and a double from skipper Trystan Davies handed the Ospreys five tries, but the Dragons managed to edge ahead with their sixth coming in the final minute to deny the Ospreys their second win. 

The Ospreys were quick off the mark in the opening stages of play. Attacking strong in the Dragons half, a solid push from the forwards set up Trystan Davies nicely to ground the opening try of the game. No conversion kept the scores at 5-0.

But the Dragons did well to counter-attack. Securing a lineout in the Ospreys 22, a quick take and driving maul pushed Cian Smith over the line for the visitors first try. Carrick Mcdonaugh with the conversion edged the Dragons just ahead at 5-7.

Taking advantage of a penalty in their favour, the Dragons kept hold of possession to take play into the Ospreys half once again. After another solid set piece from the pack, good line speed sent Kyle Collins-Smith blitzing through the Ospreys defence to score the Dragons second try. McDonaugh with the conversion put the scores at 5-14.

But the Ospreys did well to answer back. Battling their way back into the Dragons half, a driving maul from the Ospreys sent their visitors backwards. And the Ospreys proved too strong for the Dragons defence, with Trystan Davies powering over the line for his second try of the game. No conversion kept the scores 10-14.

From the restart, a brilliant take from the backs followed by quick pace caught the Dragons off guard. And with some good offloads and interplay, Logan Phillips spied the gap to race clear of the line to take the lead! Joe Hawkins with the conversion brought the scores to 17-14.

Keen to take back their lead, the Dragons turned their attack up a gear. And with a scrum in hand in the Ospreys half, a solid push from the pack allowed scrum-half Che Hope to pick up and race over the whitewash for the try! The conversion just wide, but the Dragons snuck back ahead 17-19.

However, their lead was short lived, with the Ospreys defending well good pressure from the pack won them the turnover. And a quick take saw them make good territory out of their own half. Strong support and a chase out wide saw Callum Dodd race clear of the line to clinch back the lead! Hawkins with the conversion taking the scores to 24-19.

But with the lead changing hands throughout, the Dragons answered back with a try of their own, with Jonny Paynter breaking through the Ospreys defence. But no conversion evened the scores 24-24.

With both sides trying to gain back the upper hand, it was the Ospreys who came out on top in the next few stages of play. Building up the phases and taking advantage of penalties going in their favour, the young side took play further into the Dragons 22. And with the penalty count stacking up against the visitors, the referee awarded front row Tayab Hussain a yellow card for not rolling away to hand the Ospreys the one man advantage.

And they took advantage well! Spotting the gap in defence Kieran Stevens crashed his way over the line for the Ospreys fifth try of the game. Iestyn Morgan with the conversion to put the Ospreys back ahead 31-24.

But dejavu came calling once again for the Ospreys, with the Dragons Jonny Paynter blitzing his way through the Ospreys defence for his second try of the game. The conversion from Mcdonaugh evening the scores once again at 31-31.

And in the final stages of play, the Ospreys were forced to defend. Struggling to hold back the Dragons attack, a pass out wide to Kyle Collins-Smith sent the Dragons wing out wide for the try. No conversion, but the Dragons clinched the lead and the victory from Osprey hands with no time left for another chance.