Ospreys Run Rings Around Warriors

The Ospreys preserved their unbeaten home record in the Magners League with a well-taken 26-9 win over Glasgow Warriors at the Liberty Stadium on Friday night.

The Ospreys region had opened up a 21-9 lead at half-time with three converted tries.

They had to wait until the 78th minute to register the fourth try - the only score of the second period - and the bonus point.

The scoreboard opened with two penalty goals from Colin Gregor in the first nine minutes. What seemed to be a stagnant first 15 minutes saw a change in tempo with the hosts getting their game on track with a run from James Hook resulting in Nikki Walker powering his way through the Glasgow defence with a sprinting finish to touchdown their opening try.

Glasgow nipped back into the lead for a second time only two minutes later when Gregor converted a third penalty before coming off to injury.

The Ospreys were constantly in the Glasgow’s half leading up to half-time. The hosts drove through the pack seeing Sonny Parker breezing passed the defence to score the second try of the game. What a way to celebrate his 50th appearance for the Ospreys. Gavin Henson converted giving us a lead of 14 -9.

At 25minutes we heard the crowd cheer on our number 11 Shane Williams as he danced around the Glasgow players showing his great skill and agility. His drive to succeed got the stadium roaring and his continuous first-class play got him a well deserved man-of-the-match.

What started off to be a quiet game had soon turned around with yet another try for the Ospreys, showing hunger for the points. Good work by New Zealander Filo Tiatia saw his fellow countryman Justin Marshall go on a run to the left corner. When he was brought down just metres short, the hard-working Tandy was on hand to score the third try. A conversion by Gavin Henson increased our lead to 21-9.

Glasgow missed an opportunity to close the half-time gap to just nine points when Dan Parks missed a penalty in injury time.

With no points conceded by either team coming up to the 74th minute, we saw the Ospreys finally brake the second-half deadlock with a fine set-piece move from a five-metre scrum; Barry Williams teamed up with Gavin Henson moved through the Worriors defence passing the ball to the man-of-the-match Shane Williams for a smooth try in the right corner.

The scorers:

For the Ospreys:
Walker, Parker, Tandy, S Williams
Cons: Henson

For Glasgow Warriors:
Gregor 3

Ospreys: 15 Lee Byrne, 14 Nikki Walker, 13 Sonny Parker, 12 James Hook, 11 Shane Williams, 10 Gavin Henson, 9 Justin Marshall, 8 Ryan Jones, 7 Steve Tandy, 6 Jonathan Thomas, 5 Ian Evans, 4 Brent Cockbain, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Huw Bennett, 1 Duncan Jones (c).
Replacements: 16 Barry Williams, 17 Paul James, 18 Alun Wyn Jones, 19 Filo Tiatia, 20 Jason Spice, 21 Shaun Connor, 22 Andrew Bishop.

Glasgow: 15 Rory Lamont, 14 Hefin O'Hare, 13 Graeme Morrison, 12 Scott Barrow, 11 Thom Evans, 10 Colin Gregor, 9 Graeme Beveridge, 8 John Beattie, 7 John Barclay, 6 Andrew Wilson, 5 Alastair Kellock, 4 Andy Newman, 3 Euan Murray, 2 Fergus Thomson, 1 Justin Va'a.
Replacements: 16 Scott Lawson, 17 Kevin Tkachuk, 18 Dan Turner, 19 Donnie Macfadyen, 20 Sam Pinder, 21 Dan Parks, 22 Andrew Henderson.

Referee: Alan Lewis (Ireland)
Touch judges: Huw David, Simon Harris (both Wales)