Ospreys Premiership Select 16 - 23 London Scottish

In a tight and exciting game, the visitors just edged the Ospreys Premiership Select with a strong second half performance

There was not much to choose between the two sides at theTalbot Athletic Ground in an incredibly close match where the lead swapped several times. It was only a strong second half showing, despite being a man down for ten minutes, that won the game for the visitors.

London Scottish took the best of the opening minutes as they put early pressure on the Ospreys Premiership Select side. Scottish managed several breaks and made ground down the wing but couldn't complete their moves thanks to a determined defensive effort by the home side. They couldn't fight their way over the try line however were rewarded not long after with a penalty kick after the Ospreys PS were penalised for holding on.

The Ospreys PS then started to build their game but were held back by their own basic errors. As the first quarter drew to a close they made one of their first forays into the London Scottish half. A successful line out set them up to attack before a rolling maul gained them ground. Scott Otten then popped out from the pack on the 22 and ran in to score the first try of the game. Martin Roberts lined up for the conversion but failed to add the extras as the kick went wide.

The visitors swiftly took the game back to the Ospreys Premiership Select but despite several phases of play seeing them batter the try line they were just unable to power over. Unfortunately their discipline let the home side down and gave London Scottish a 5m scrum. Further infringements came and with 23 minutes played the referee awarded Scottish a penalty try. Peter Lydon extending their lead with a successful conversion.

A lead that didn't last long as yet again the balance of power shifted and the Ospreys PS began to attack. They didn't seem to be getting too far until suddenly Martin Roberts broke from the group to race over for the Ospreys PS's second try. Joel Matavesi, taking over kicking duties, was however unable to convert and the score stayed tied.

The Ospreys Premiership Select really started to grow into the game as it hit the half an hour mark, they were making breaks and slipping through the London Scottish back line while also defending well. In the final minutes of the first half the Ospreys PS really started to put pressure on London Scottish, gaining ground with every move. A penalty was awarded but with the clock having already gone red their only option was to go for the posts. Matavesi's successful kick meaning the Ospreys Premiership Select side took a small lead into half time.

HT: Ospreys Premiership Select 13 - 10 London Scottish

The Ospreys Premiership Select side started the second half in the same manner they ended the first. Attacking from the off and looking for gaps. Good runs from Ifereimi Boladau and Keelan Giles gained yards but the team struggled to complete their efforts.

Mistakes started to creep into the home sides game however, and it quickly allowed London Scottish to regain a foothold. They started to gain confidence and with the bit between their teeth the Ospreys Premiership Select side had to race back to defend. The visitors read the game well and used an overlap to send prop Matthew Shields over for a try. Lydon keeping his 100% record with another successful kick for the conversion.

The game then entered into tennis territory as the evenly matched sides opted to kick back and fore in the hope of a mistake coming from their opposition. It was London Scottish that made the mistake and as a result they found themselves a man down thanks to a yellow card and their lead shrunk to just one point thanks to another Matavesi penalty.

Instead of making the most of their one man advantage the following ten minutes saw the Ospreys PS under increasing pressure. While they held out Scottish's efforts to score a try, discipline was a problem and just before the visitors returned to a full fifteen they were able to extend their lead with another successful penalty.

An Owen Watkin run managed to kick start a period of improved play for the Ospreys Premiership Select side as they again started to try to run the ball at their opposition, but an eventual forward pass finished their chance and their momentum.

Instead it was London Scottish that got to round out the scoring and the game as Lydon made it five from five just after the clock went red.

FT: Ospreys Premiership Select 16 - 23 London Scottish