Ospreys Premiership Select 10 Cornish Pirates 34

Cornish Pirates proved too much for a spirited Ospreys Premiership Select side at the Old Parish Ground on Saturday afternoon

  • The young Ospreys defended valiantly but the Pirates’ dominance proved too much in the end, as they scored five tries.
  • Young centre Kieran Williams scored his fourth competition try of the season with Luke Price kicking five points

Running out to a good crowd at the Old Parish ground in very wet and muddy conditions, the Ospreys PS were looking to build on their back to back wins over Connacht Eagles back in December.

With the rain halting as play got underway, Cornish Pirates were quick to make their mark on the game, their forwards forcing their way deep into the Ospreys half.

Their first chance to turn their territory into points on the board came when the Pirates were awarded a penalty with the Ospreys PS penalised for wheeling the scrum five minutes in. Fly-half Laurence May opted for the posts but was just off target.

Dominating the early stages of the game upfront, the Pirates opened the scoring when a penalty against the Ospreys for going in at the side allowed May to slot over a penalty with 10 minutes on the clock.

With the rain falling once again the young Ospreys defended well despite being under considerable pressure. Despte finding themselves pinned back in their own half for the majority of the first quarter only three points separated the two sides. 

However, the Pirates were rewarded for their pressure on the 25-minute mark. A driving lineout maul from the 22-mark scrambled the Ospreys defence and proved too powerful for the home side. Brett Beukeboom crashing over the line for the first of the afternoon. May sent over the conversion and  made it 0-10 to the visitors.

Continuing to dominate, the Pirates tight-head prop Tyler Gendall powered over following another driving maul, May’s conversion just skimming the posts.


The Ospreys PS came out fired up despite the 15-point deficit and they wasted no time in forcing their visitors back into their own half. A penalty to touch followed by great attack through the phases, saw centre Kieran Williams break through the Pirates defence and slide in under the posts for the home sides first of the afternoon. Luke Price’s conversion narrowed the gap at 7-15.

But not a minute later, Cornish Pirates were back in attack carrying upfield, and a powerful drive by Beukeboom claimed his second and his side’s third of the afternoon.  Despite another missed conversion the scoreboard read 7-20 at the 50-minute mark.

Not ready to throw in the towel just yet, the young Ospreys made good breaks through the Pirates defence and quick work from the backs nearly saw them race in for their second try, only for the referee to call play back for a forward pass. 

A break from Price from deep in his own half, shrugging off tackles and offloading to flanker Will Jones looked to give the Ospreys a try, only for the ball to be knocked forward metres from the line.

Winning the scrum after an early engagement from the Pirates, the Ospreys opted for the points with a penalty in front of the posts. Price was successful as his kick closed the gap to 10, with 20 minutes left to play.

In search of their bonus point try, the Pirates came back into it, working their way deep into the Ospreys 22. The visiting forwards powered their way into another driving maul inches from their try line, only for it to be brought down by the Ospreys. The referee having no option than to run between the posts and award a penalty try. May’s conversion extended their lead to 10-27.

Prop Marlen Walker then went over for the Pirates’fifth, Will Cargill with the conversion as the final whistle blew.

Up next for the Ospreys Premiership Select is a trip to the Madejski stadium on Saturday 21st January where they face London Irish in their final pool game of the British and Irish Cup, K.O 2pm.