Ospreys in the play-offs

Since the end of season play-offs were introduced for the 2009/10 campaign, the Ospreys have featured four times prior to this season and currently have a 50% win rate.

Having faced off against Glasgow Warriors in the championship’s first ever play-off at the end of 2009/10, to book a final date in Dublin against Leinster, our opponent in every single play-off semi-final since, this year included, had been Munster. Twice prior to this week Thomond Park has been the venue (10/11 and 14/15), while the Liberty Stadium hosted the two sides at the end of 2011/12.


Take a look back at our previous semi-finals:


Friday 14th May 2010, Liberty Stadium 

Ospreys 20 (T: Williams, Hook C: Biggar 2 P: Biggar 2)

Glasgow 5 (Thomson)


The Ospreys started the first ever play-off match saw the Ospreys come out in top in a keenly contested game against the Scots.

Shane Williams gave the hosts an early lead and it remained 7-0 at the interval before Glasgow hooker Fergus Thomson got the Glasgow side of the scoreboard moving shortly after the break.

A wonderful individual score from James Hook, combined with the boot of Biggar, gave the Ospreys some breathing space to secure a spot in the final.



Saturday 14th May 2011, Thomond Park

Munster 18 (T: Barnes 2 C: O’Gara P: O’Gara 2)

Ospreys 11 (T: Fussell P: Biggar 2)


Munster were comfortable for long periods, leading 18-6 with just two minutes left thanks to a brace of tries from centre, Danny Barnes, and eight points kicked by Ronan O’Gara. 

Dan Biggar kicked a penalty in each half for the Ospreys and it was his cross kick that allowed Richard Fussell to score their only try in the 78th minute. There was hope of a late rally but Munster held on for the win.



Friday 11th May 2012, Liberty Stadium 

Ospreys 45 (T: Biggar, Fotuali’i, Dirksen, Bishop, Webb C: Biggar 4 P: Biggar 4)

Munster 10 (T: Keatley C: Keatley P: Keatley)


Munster scored first, Ian Keatley touching down inside three minutes, but it was the Ospreys who then ran away with it, scoring five tries in a record win over Munster on a famous night at the Liberty. 

Dan Biggar and Kahn Fotuali’i scored before the break before Hanno Dirksen, Andrew Bishop and Rhys Webb continued the rout. 

In total, Biggar scored 25 points on the night, taking him past the 1,000 mark for the region.



Saturday 23rd May 2015, Thomond Park

Munster 21 (T: Zebo, Hurley, Butler P: Keatley 2)

Ospreys 18 (T: Webb, Hassler C: Biggar P: Biggar 2)


It came down to a TMO decision with time up but in the end it was to prove an afternoon of disappointment for the Ospreys as they were denied a historic PRO12 semi-final win. 

Twice they had trailed by 13 points but they refused to lay down and die, almost snatching victory with what looked like a stunning score at the last play from Josh Matavesi, only for referee, Nigel Owens, to go upstairs for a decision, TMO Gareth Simmonds ruling that Rhys Webb had knocked on at the base of a ruck earlier in the move.

Tries from Simon Zebo, Denis Hurley and Paddy Butler had put the Munstermen in the driving seat, Webb and Jeff Hassler replying for the Ospreys, for whom Dan Biggar also kicked eight points.