Defeat away to the Vodacom Bulls

Ospreys lose on tough day in Pretoria

Ospreys fell short today to Vodacom Bulls at Loftus Versfeld stadium, Pretoria. Ospreys scored three tries, but were unable to secure the fourth for a try bonus point. 

The first try of the game went to the Vodacom Bulls. After a prolonged spell in Ospreys territory, they went to the rolling maul from the lineout and were able to go over for the score. Try converted, 7-0.

The Bulls tried to build on their early lead, but a calmness came into the game from the Ospreys as they began to control some territory of their own.

As the game progressed, so did the kicking battle, which the Ospreys seemed to be leading the charge on. A particular highlight was a high kick from Jack Walsh that was chased by Max Nagy, who managed to make two tackles in quick succession to put the home side under pressure.

Despite a good spell from the Ospreys, the Bulls extended their lead through David Kriel after Kurt-Lee Arendse was able to cut in from the left and pass inside to the centre for the finish. Try converted, 14-0 Bulls.

TRY FOR OSPREYS! Rhys Henry broke through, passing to Morgan Morris. Morgan brought the ball in before producing a superb offload out the back to Luke Davies who went over for the score. Walsh converted, 14-7.

With just over ten minutes to play in the first half, Arendse added to the Bulls’ tally. A string of successful carries from the home side set them up on the Ospreys’ line before the ball was whipped out wide to Arendse to finish. 19-7 Bulls.

The Ospreys went close soon after. A penalty advantage allowed Nagy to whip a looping pass out left to Keelan, who grubbered through and was taken out, but the referee brought it back for previous advantage. Jack Walsh slotted it through to bring the scores within nine, 19-10.

It looked like it was on for the Ospreys to add another try, but David Kriel was able to intercept, run the length of the field and pass to Canan Moodie to finish. 26-10.


HALF TIME: 26-10.


Bulls continued on from their strong first half, with Canan Moodie recovering a smart grubber to finish. Try converted, 33-10.

Ospreys looked to have broken through again but the Bulls were able to recover a loose ball before breaking through to score again. Try converted, 40-10.

TRY FOR OSPREYS! Max Nagy picked up the ball from the kick, before making a smart chip of his own that he was able to recover and offload to Keiran Williams for the score. Walsh converted, 40-17.

As we hit 55 minutes, Arendse was able to score after a well worked set play. 47-17 after the converted try.

With 20 minutes remaining, the Bulls added to their tally after a penalty try, 54-17.

TRY OSPREYS! Ospreys fought back, Keelan Giles dotting down a try on 67 minutes that only he could finish, with Jack Walsh slotting the touchline conversion. With three tries on the board, it was all to play for in the hunt for a bonus point try, 54-24.

As the game came to a close the boys were putting up a fight in the Bulls 22, in pursuit of the final try to secure a bonus point, but Willie Le Roux intercepted a pass and dotted down under the posts, with the conversion successful, Bulls 61- Ospreys 24.

As the game came to a close, the boys looked to be building pressure, but couldn’t secure that final try for the bonus point at altitude.

FULL TIME: Bulls 61, Ospreys 24.