Ospreys Development U16s 22 - 48 Scotland Select

An Ospreys U16 development side were in action on Wednesday afternoon, facing tough opposition against a Scottish Select team at the Gnoll.

  • Tries from Ben Petherbridge, Llyr Davies, Iestyn Lewis and Lewis Walker kept the Ospreys fighting to stay in the game, with Tyler Jones booting the extras
  • Despite dominating stages of play and a second half comeback looking on the cards, the Scottish side proved too strong for the young Ospreys, leaving them too much to do


Running out to very wet conditions at the Gnoll, the Ospreys were looking to cause an upset against the visiting team, who recorded an impressive 60-28 victory against English side, the Lambs on Sunday.

The Ospreys got off to a superb start, with the Scottish side kicking straight to touch to hand the hosts the scrum. A solid push handed the Ospreys another penalty, and a quick tap and go saw the Ospreys turn on the attack.

But just as the Ospreys looked to reach the 22, a rip from Scotland saw Callum Anderson break his way through the Ospreys defence to race clear of the line. No conversion kept the scores 0-5 with five minutes on the clock.

Dominating the next few stages of play, the Ospreys attack pushed Scotland backwards. A quick break from Tom Davies, brought play into the opposition 22 and strong support from the pack made way for  Ben Petherbridge to crash over the line for the Ospreys first try, also unconverted.

Despite Ospreys pressure it was Scotland who scored next, quick to capitalise on any mistakes. Picking up a loose ball, Daniel Brown raced over for the Scottish side’s second try of the game, Roly Brett with the conversion to take the scores to 5-12 with twenty minutes on the clock.

Still dominating territory, the Ospreys kept building the phases in Scotland’s half, but still struggled to gain any points on the board. And, just before the half time whistle, Nick Henderson was allowed to slice his way through the Ospreys defence to score the try.

Half Time: Ospreys Development U16s 5 -17 Scotland Select U16s

Coming out for the second half, Scotland wasted no time in stretching their lead, a good take from the restart seeing Angus Hoffie blitz his way through the Ospreys defence to score his team’s fourth try of the game, which again went unconverted.     

Only two minutes later, Scotland made a quick break out wide to take play deep into the Ospreys half. But quick pace from the Ospreys backs took the Scottish wing into touch before he could ground the try.

However, Scotland fought back well to gain the turnover from the resulting setpiece and a driving maul sent Ryan Daley over the line for the try. The conversion from Keiran Clark meant they led 5-29. 

With momentum firmly on the Scots side, quick work from the pack saw them run in another two tries within minutes of each other, Angus Cousin and Euan Henderson with the grounding and Clark with one conversion to extend their lead to 5-41.

But the Ospreys refused to throw the towel in as the game moved into the final quarter.

A solid driving maul from the pack sent Llyr Davies up nicely to ground the Ospreys second try of the game, converted by Tyler Jones.

Taking advantage of another penalty from the restart, the young Ospreys punctured their way through the Scottish defence to take play into their opponent’s half. Protecting the ball well, the Ospreys kept on pushing their way further up field forcing Scotland to draw in their defenders.

But just as they looked to score their third try, a penalty for holding on went in favour of the Scots, leaving them to kick to touch out of their own half.

However a Scottish lineout was nicely picked up by Osprey hands, and quick work from the pack saw them take back possession. A superb solo effort from Iestyn Lewis saw the fullback race from just outside his own half to Scotland’s 22. With support on his outside, he decided he didn’t need it, racing through two defenders before grounding a try in the corner. The conversion was missed.

They maintained the pressire and next it was Lewis Walker powering his way over the line and with the conversion target the scoreboard read 22-41.

A penalty for holding on gave the Scots the lineout on the halfway line and a quick take and break through the middle saw Angus Hoffie race straight through the Ospreys defence to score the try, the conversion from Clark signalling the end of the game.