Ospreys Cup Under 16's Finals

Gowerton, Glynneath, Tondu and Morriston took the silverware in this year's U16's competition

After 70 games played in the Ospreys U16's Cup this season, Llandarcywas the venue for an exciting day of rugby as the final 8 teams went head to head to battle for the silverware.

Glynneath and Pontarddulais took to the field first in the Shield final. Despite the two teams performing fairly equally in the league stages, it was all Glynneath on the day as they ran in 6 tries courtesy of Ben Atkins, Chad Jarvis, Harri Morgan and an impressive hat trick from Morgan Rogers, with Dalton Brown adding 3 conversions. Despite a good performance on the day, Scott Simons' try was the only reply for Pontarddulais.

FT: Glynneath 36 - 5 Pontardudulais

It was a tighter affair in the Bowl final as Abercrave took on Morriston. Tries for Morriston came from Jacob Kennedy Evans crossing twice, Lewis Thomas and Corey Evans, who also kicked all of the Swansea sides points. Nathan Williams, who also made four successful kicks, scored Abercrave's first try and was followed across the line by Kane Griffiths, Williams Maynard and Brandon Jones. Despite Abercrave taking a very narrow lead into half time, Morriston staged a second half comeback to steal the win.

FT: Abercrave 27 - 35 Morriston

In the higher tier of the competition Bryncoch met Tondu in the Plate Final. Tondu took the lead with a try by Joe Allen in the opening minutes, and didn't relinquish it all game. Despite good defensive work by Bryncoch, Stuart Young and Morgan also crossed the line before half time. Just three Sam Evans penalties keeping Bryncoch in the game.

Bryncoch opened the second half scoring with just a minute on the clock as Jamie Walsh crashed over the line and put themselves back in the running. However Tondu showed their dominance and Rhys Davies slid over for their fourth try. Callum Baldwin adding three conversions during the game.

FT: Bryncoch 16 - 26 Tondu

The top trophy in the competition is the Cup and this season it was Gowerton and Pencoed Under 16's who reached the final. Evenly matched would be a fair way to describe the entire game with both teams equalling every offensive and defensive move. With half an hour gone the teams were tied with just a penalty apiece. Eventually just before half time Gowerton got some possession in Pencoed's half and after a powerful rolling maul they were awarded a penalty try. Callum Carson adding the conversion just before the whistle.

HT: Gowerton 10 - 3 Pencoed

It was a faster start to the second half and with some good passing and team work Pencoed's Callum Palmer slipped over in the corner with just 2 minutes on the clock. With the conversion missing the mark, Gowerton just held on to their lead.

A break up the left wing put Gowerton back in prime position and Ben Cambriani ran in from the 22 to score. Shortly afterwards an overlapĀ  allowed another try, this time Lloyd Dudley-Jones sliding over the try line.

With yellow cards for both sides coming in short succession and handling errors and injuries, the game became a hugely stop start affair with neither team able to get an attack going for quite some time. Eventually Pencoed stepped it up a gear and Tom Williams added their second try. Despite a last minute final try for Pencoed by Tommy Reffel, it all came down to the conversions in this tight match. With Callum Carson converting 1 more try than Pencoed's Cameron Fyvie Davies, Gowerton just claimed the victory.

FT: Gowerton 22 - 20 Pencoed