Ospreys in Cork for third Irish trip of the season

Munster claim bonus point victory against Ospreys.

Despite dominating posession and territory for the opening 15 minutes it was the Ospreys who conceded the first try of the match at Irish Independent Park. Following a lineout on the Ospreys 10 metre line and some great handling from forwards and backs alike, prop James Cronin marked his first start of the season for Munster with a try, finishing a well worked move by the home side. Converted by Tyler Bleyendaal, it was 7-0 to the hosts with a quarter of the match played.

Ospreys dominated play following the re-start with strong bursts from Dan Baker and Tiaan Thomas Wheeler breaking the Munster defensive line to put pressure on the Irish side. A penalty soon came the way of the Welsh and Luke Price converted to put Ospreys on the scoreboard. 7-3 to Munster.

A period of concerted pressure from Munster saw them struggle to break a strong Ospreys defence late in the half with Sam Parry in the thick of it on his own 22, turning the ball over to win a penalty for the Ospreys. A huge scrum from the Ospreys forwards followed, a penalty coming their way as a result and the deficit reduced to just a point with Luke Price slotting over his second penalty to make it 7-6.

As the clock turned red at the end of the half Munster were given another penalty, opting to kick for the corner this time - outstanding defence from the Ospreys, once again, saw them turn the ball over to keep the score at 7-6 at the break.

The second half saw Munster shoot out of the blocks and within minutes, following a Sam Cross infringement under his own posts, receiving a yellow card for his troubles too - Munster scored from the resulting penalty with a try from Marshall converted by Bleyendaal.

A man down it was Ospreys who flourished from the re-start with a quick penalty from Luke Price, a third successful penalty kick of the night for him. Munster were quick to respond, however, with some mazy running from Munster full back, and man of the match, Mike Healey seeing him go over for a sublime individual try. A conversion in off the post by Bleyendaal took the score to Munster 21 – 9 Ospreys.

With Cross back on the park and Ospreys slowly approaching every set play, it was they who drew blood next following a high tackle on the 22, Luke Price making it 4 from 4 and reducing the score-line to 21-12.

A scrappy second half with errors on both sides, it was Munster who had the final word on 79 minutes with a try from substitute Arno Botha crossing from close range to flatter the score board and secure a bonus point victory for the home side of 28 to 12.