Ospreys v Cardiff

Ospreys bag bonus point win to secure URC knockout place

Results earlier in the day meant Ospreys entered this Judgement Day clash with one goal: a bonus-point win to qualify for the URC knockouts. Game on!

The boys started the game on the front foot and found an early opportunity from a maul deep into Cardiff territory, but the home side were able to prevent the score.

TRY FOR OSPREYS! We continued to apply the pressure on the Cardiff defence and some consistent carrying from the pack near their line eventually saw Nicky Smith power over. Dan Edwards slotted the conversion over from a tough angle on the right. Cardiff 0 - 7 Ospreys.

But, it was destined to a be a tight fight in the first half and Cardiff answered straight back with a try of their own. A well worked move from the home team eventually saw Cabango go over for the score in the corner. De Beer converted. Cardiff 7 - 7 Ospreys.

Following the Cardiff score, the home side enjoyed a spell of possession in the middle of the park but the Ospreys’ quick defensive line made it difficult for them to create any opportunities.

As we approached the 20-minute-mark, Cardiff tried to impose themselves again near the Ospreys line but some tenacious defending saw Ospreys turn the ball over. The back-and-forth tussle continued. 

TRY FOR OSPREYS! Another try of the season contender, Keelan was at his best as he stepped Cardiff defenders, offloaded to Dan Edwards was able to fling it out the backdoor to Justin Tipuric. Tips masterfully juggled the ball for five metres and before clinically dotting it down on the line. Conversion missed. before Tips finished clinically for the score. 12-7 Ospreys.

After a long spell of possession, Cardiff were eventually able to break down the Ospreys defence and answer back with a try of their own through Mason Grady. Conversion missed. Cardiff 12 - 12 Ospreys.

A tight half saw us go in at the break scores drawn.


HALF TIME - Cardiff 12 - 12 Ospreys


The boys came out with the bit between their teeth and put in some huge hits in the early doors of the second half. Owen Watkin put Tinus De Beer on his back with a monstrous tackle as the flyhalf attempted to sidestep.

Ospreys went close to scoring early on as Reuben Morgan-Williams combined with Keelan down the blindside to break through. But, his speed left him isolated and Cardiff were able to pressure at the breakdown to secure the turnover. 

TRY FOR OSPREYS! Ospreys were able to turn penalty into pressure, as the forwards mobilised from an attacking lineout and the maul rumbled into action. The pack proved all too powerful for the Cardiff defence and more relentless carrying saw Nicky Smith go over the line for his second. Dan Edwards converted. Cardiff 12 - 19 Ospreys.

Once again, the Ospreys score seemed to invigorate the opposition. They turned to the three points and were able to close the gap from a Ben Thomas penalty. 19-15 Ospreys.

CLOSE AGAIN! Dan Edwards broke down the wing before kicking it inside and chasing afterwards. Ben Thomas was able to eventually recover the ball but was taken over his own line by Reuben Morgan-Williams.

BONUS POINT TRY! The boys won a penalty from the resulting scrum and immediately opted for another. The ball was taken down the blindside and Dan Edwards threaded it through the eye of a needle to find Luke Morgan, who finished in the corner. Dan converted another tough kick. Cardiff 15- 25 Ospreys.

Cardiff once again hit back with a score of their own. Hammer-Webb crossed to close the gap once again. Cardiff 22- 25 Ospreys.

The drama continued in a frantic final passage of play that saw Seb Davies red-carded for a dangerous tackle on Owen Williams. Under pressure with 14 men, Cardiff then conceded a penalty try to give Ospreys their fourth and the much-needed bonus point. Thornton saw yellow for the infringement and Cardiff were down to 13. Cardiff 22 - 33 Ospreys.

With minutes left we hoped we'd done enough, but Cardiff weren't going down without a fight. They took the restart straight to the Ospreys line and frantic defensive effort saw Luke Davies accept a yellow card in exchange for stopping a sure Cardiff try. But, it wasn't enough to hold the hosts out as the clock turned red and Mason Grady barged over for the final score of the game. Converted. Cardiff 29- 33 Ospreys.

And then... WE DID IT! Celebrations began as Ospreys, given just a 5% chance of succeeding by the URC predictor, booked their eight place finish and a ticket to the knockouts. 

This team! In the words of Toby Booth: "we find a way."


HALF TIME - Cardiff 12 - 12 Ospreys


We'll travel to table-toppers Munster on Friday night for knockout rugby in the URC Quarter Finals. 

Want to cherish the action forever? Bid on a Matchworn Shirt from tonight's game and own a piece of history.