Ospreys age-grade roundup

The Ospreys age-grade sides were all in action last night, here’s how they got on.

Ospreys U16s West 43 – 7 Dragons Red U16s

In a bid to build from their draw last week, the U16s West side hosted Dragons Red U16s at the Gnoll.

A poor start from the young side allowed the Dragons to burst through a scrum and score the opening try of the game. The conversion giving the visitors a 7-0 lead with just three minutes on the clock. But the Ospreys side regrouped and turned on the attack against their visitors to score a try out wide through the hands of Joe Williams. Rhys Harris converting brought the scores level.

Minutes later, quick hands and an inside pass to Kian Abraham sent the wing over the line for the side’s second try of the game. No conversion, but it wasn’t long until the Ospreys took advantage of a penalty against the Dragons to take a quick tap and go to send Morgan Morse over for the third try of the game.

Bang on the half hour mark, another run out wide made way for Harvey James to score the fourth of the evening. Harris converting to bring the half-time score to 24-7.

Keen to take their strong first half performance into the second, a powerful attack from the Ospreys allowed Rowan Lovering to slice through defence to score. With the Ospreys firmly in control of the game, another huge drive from the pack saw Morgan Morse crash over the line for his second try of the game just shy of the 50th minute. Harris adding the two to extend this side’s lead to 36-7.

As the young side looked to close out the game, a relentless attack from the pack saw Harvey James ground the try off the back of a lineout to bring the young side’s try count to 7! Harris booting the conversion to take the final score to 43-7.


Cardiff Blues U16s North 5 – 19 Ospreys U16s East

Looking to continue their winning run, the Ospreys U16s East travelled to Sardis Road to face the Cardiff Blues U16s North. In an evenly contested first half, both sides struggled to gain the upper hand over the other. It wasn’t until the 33rd minute of the game, that Cori Jenkins made a break to open the scores just before half time.

Coming out for the second half, the young Ospreys looked to build on their momentum. Building an attack in their opponents 22, Jenkins made his second break to cross the whitewash once again. The young Pontrhydyfen fullback converting his own try to take the Ospreys 12-0 ahead.

Trying to get themselves back into the game, Cardiff Blues turned on the attack and replacement back Thomas Edwards sliced his way through the gain line to score the first points for his side.

But the young Ospreys were able to dig in deep and it was young Jenkins who made the break once again to score the hat trick for the team. Slotting the extras put the final scores at 5-19 to the young Eyasses.


Ospreys U18s 24 – 38 Dragons U18s

Elsewhere, the U18s welcomed defending champions the Dragons U18s to the Talbot Athletic Ground. The visitors were first off the mark with winger Carrick McDonough crossing the whitewash in the corner. Joe Westwood slotting the conversion to take the early 7-0 lead. The young Ospreys answered back with a try of their own just before the half hour mark with Callum Dodd grounding the ball. Just before half time, the Dragons extended their lead with a driving maul over the line from Connor Chapman. Westwood adding the conversion took the half-time score to 5-14.

The young Ospreys made a solid start to the second half, with Jordan Evans powering over the line for the try. Hawkins with the extras narrowed the scores to 12-14. The side took the lead minutes later with wing Josh Carrington racing over in the corner. But the Dragons soon claimed back their lead with a converted try from Che Hoppe to edge back ahead 17-21. With the momentum in their favour, a strong drive from the pack saw Joe Coope Franklin add his name to the visitor’s scoresheet. Westwood keeping the numbers ticking over with the conversion.

But the Ospreys answered back almost immediately! Carrington running over for a try from the restart to bridge the score-gap. Hawkins adding the two brought the scores to 24-28 with 10 minutes left to play.

Keen to close out the game, the Dragons held their own and a late brace from Carrick McDonough sealed the victory for their opponents, with the final score sitting 24-38.