NPTC lose to unbeaten Coleg Y Cymoedd

Despite an improved performance, Neath Port Talbot College couldn’t manage to beat a strong Coleg Y Cymoedd side

In the previous away match at Taff’s Well RFC, Coleg Y Cymoedd beat a second best Neath Port Talbot College convincingly 47 – 5. NPTC were determined to put in a better performance and despite losing to Cymoedd by 26 points this week the home side were pleased with improvements in their play.

From the opening seconds of play Coleg Y Cymoedd showed why they have not been beaten yet this year. They started with strong attacking play and with just 1 minute on the clock Callum Morris crossed the line to score. With very high winds kicking successfully was a hard ask and the resulting conversion was missed.

Knock ons by Cymoedd were really their only error of the whole game and one straight after the restart gave NPTC their first opportunity of the game, but being unable to get their kicks into touch cost them as they put the ball straight back into the visitors hands.  

NPTC’s defence was much improved from the away match against the impressive visiting side. However despite their improvements it was inevitable that Cymoedd would find a gap eventually and after 13 minutes they slipped through to score their second of the game. Again the wind proved too strong for the conversion but the visitors lead 10 points to 0.

The Coleg Y Cymoedd scrum dominated NPTC’s throughout the whole game. Neath Port Talbot College were forced to try and clear quickly from their own scrum in the 25th minute but couldn’t make touch. Cymoedd were quick to take advantage and dodged through three of the home side to almost cross the line. NPTC took a continual battering and eventually allowed Cymoedd over for their third of the game. Again Callum Hall was unable to convert the try.

Both teams enjoyed opportunities in the last ten minutes of the first half but neither sides defence was willing to let the other through  and at half time the score remained Neath Port Talbot College 0 – 15 Coleg Y Cymoedd.

Neath started the second half in a much stronger manner than they did in the first. A great charge by David Davies for NPTC saw the home side looking dangerous, before they were fouled by Cymoedd. Paul Edwards for NPTC could do no better than his opposite number and also sent the ball wide of the posts with the resulting penalty.

A further chance came when Joe Gage made a good run through several Cymoedd players. NPTC tried to push over for a try but Cymoedd fouls again stopped them and the visitors LH Prop was shown a yellow card. A few minutes later when Cymoedd were again penalised NPTC’s Paul Edwards successfully scored the first kicking points of the game.

Coleg Y Cymoedd were quick to respond and just 3 minutes later managed to find another gap to slip through to score their 4th try of the game. With the wind having died down Callum Hall also got his first points on the board with the conversion.

Cymoedd’s 5th try came not long after. Like so many teams this year NPTC had no answer to Cymoedd’s pace and power when they find space and Kurtis Williams raced over to score. Replacement Luke Fish converted leaving the visitors ahead by 26 points.

Neaths defence remained solid however for the remaining 10 minutes of the game. Despite many attacks, clever runs and intelligent passing by the visitors, the home side covered the field well and held them out to leave the final score NPTC 3 – 29 Coleg Y Cymoedd.

Max Howells of Neath Port Talbot College said on the game:

If you take both games against Cymoedd, there’s a far better attitude in this week’s home game. They cut us on the wide channels on occasion however own defensive game was much better. Cymoedd are a quality outfit and we need to look at our set piece but looking at the performance day, the mindset was there. With Llandrillo coming down next week we are hoping for a good performance and we will be training hard this week in preparation”