Last Kick Of The Match Loss For New Look Under

With thirteen players elevated to International squad duties this was already an untried team before three key members of the Reebok Championship team pulled out in the lead up to this game

. It was therefore a fine indication of the strength in depth of the Osprey Region that they were never behind in this game until the Dragons outside half Daniel Jones kicked a drop goal with the last action of the game to secure his team a 17 points to 14 victory.

Both sides attempted to play expansive rugby and provided an entertaining match for a good crowd at South Wales Police RFC. However, there were also quite a number of mistakes made by both sets of players in choosing the wrong options and kicking when it was on to run; taking unnecessary contact rather than passing into space; etc. But the beauty of the fixtures that are now being played is that they are not for points in the Reebok Championships and, both sets of coaches and players will be able to sit down with the video of the game and analyse ways of improving both  individual player and team performance in preparation for next season. Talent identification and player development is an ongoing process and the players on show last night will be back in the mix during the summer months, attempting to convince the under 18 and 20 coaches of their worth to those particular squads and an opportunity to play in the Reebok Championships next season.

Outside half Dane Clancey took advantage of early in discipline by the Dragons defence and kicked a penalty goal and two drop goals for a 9 points to nil lead. That lead was reduced to 9 – 7 just before half time when the Dragons caught hold of a loose ball from the lineout and some good interplay by their forwards saw 2nd row Rhys Willard score a try which centre Chris Wannell converted. Strong running centre Scott Robinson scored early on in the second half for the Young Ospreys to give them a 14 points to 7 lead; however, they were not able to add further points  and therefore a late rally by the Dragons with a try for wing Gareth Dare which was converted by Wannell provided Jones with his opportunity for hero status.