After a big weekend for the Ospreys that saw the region set a new Guinness PRO12 best for consecutive try bonus points, we take a look back at Round 2 and ahead to this weekend’s action.
- Saturday night’s bonus point in Galway was the sixth in consecutive PRO12 matches for the Ospreys, setting a new Championship record
- Ospreys are one of four unbeaten teams after two matches, and sit top of the table ahead of Glasgow Warriors with both teams on 10 points
- Next up for the Ospreys is a home game on Saturday (7.35pm) against Benetton Treviso
Round 2 of the Guinness PRO12 saw an early push from Cardiff Blues, Ospreys and Glasgow Warriors to put Wales and Scotland well on the road to having a representative in this season’s Final at Aviva Stadium on May 27.
All three sides have won two games from two while Ulster Rugby have also maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a hard-fought victory away to Benetton Treviso. The highlight of the round came at Scotstoun Stadium on Saturday where Glasgow Warriors and Leinster Rugby played out an eight-try thriller on the new artificial surface.
Five of the away teams will be travelling with intent this weekend as Scarlets, Leinster Rugby, Munster Rugby, Connacht Rugby and Benetton Treviso are all looking to bounce back from their defeats in Round 2.
What’s at Stake?
The Ospreys created history on Saturday by becoming the first club in the history of the Championship to record six consecutive try bonus-points in a run of games that dates back to April.
The Ospreys are also vying with Glasgow Warriors to become the first club to ever claim maximum points across the first three games of the season.
Fixtures – Friday, Sept 16:
Cardiff Blues v Glasgow Warriors (7pm); Ulster v Scarlets (7.05pm,); Edinburgh v Leinster (7.35pm).
Saturday, Sept 17:
Newport Gwent Dragons v Munster (5.15pm); Zebre v Connacht (6.05pm); Ospreys v Benetton Treviso (7.35pm)
Ospreys v Benetton Treviso
Referee: Lloyd Linton (SRU, 13th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Graeme Wells (SRU), Martyn Lewis (WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Jeff Mark (WRU)
TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)
Did you know?
- Ospreys only defeat in their last six Guinness PRO12 matches was 26-46 at home to Ulster in round 22 last season, a sequence which has seen them claim a try bonus point in each of those encounters and break the Championship record in the process. No side has ever started a PRO12 campaign with maximum points after three rounds.
- Benetton Treviso’s only victory since February was 22-21 at home to Connacht in round 21.
- The Italians have not won away from home since the short trip to Zebre in December 2014.
- Treviso have beaten Ospreys just once in the Guinness PRO12, 12-6 at Stadio Monigo in August 2012, but they have beaten them twice at the same venue in the European Champions Cup in 2013 and 2015.
For more Opta statistics visit http://www.pro12rugby.com/powered-by-opta/
Guinness PRO12 Final 2017 Ticket Information: Fans can save up to 20% on selected tickets, and prices start at just €30 adults and €5 child, and be booked via www.ticketmaster.ie. For further information visit http://www.pro12rugby.com/final