Further Success In Development Match

With the shackles of playing for league points removed some new faces were able to impress coaches Phil John and Andrew Millward with a comprehensive victory over their rivals from the West by 42 points to 15.

Those who are of the opinion that if it isn't a league or a cup game then there is nothing to play for, should have been at St Helens, Swansea last night (Wednesday) and witnessed the committment and skill levels shown by both the Young Ospreys and Scarlets under 18 teams. From a Young Ospreys perspective coaches John and Millward were able to benefit from developing players who are available to them next season and also by trying out players in different positions. For the Young Ospreys Matthew Jarvis (pictured) struck two early penalties as they failed to breach a well organised Scarlets defence. The Scarlets got their first try as a result of that organised defence when they turned the Young Ospreys over and went the length of the field. Prominant in the scoring of the try was wing Josh Smart who led the counter attack only to be brought down by covering Young Osprey 2nd row Sam Williams. Nevertheless, Smart managed to find himself in midfield as the Scarlets retained possession and his speed in open space eventually took him to the try line. Then the Scarlets had the audacity to take the lead as they scored a try when they were down to 14 men (yellow card). However, with referee Simon Harris making good use of the advantage law the Young Ospreys benefited and some inteligent play by converted hooker Jonathon Vaughan, gave wing Richard Randall the opportunity to sprint 50 metres for a try which Jarvis converted. Jarvis had earlier added a third penalty and the Young Ospreys led by 16 points to 10 at half time. In the second half the Young Ospreys more experienced pack took control up front and added four tries through 2nd rows Ciaran Ruddock and Rowan Davies (replacement), while Randall added a second and his fellow wing Dean Williams also grabbed one. Jarvis converted 3 to end up with a 17 points total for his evenings work. For their continued efforts the Scarlets were rewarded with a late try for outside half Daniel Newton as they caught the Young Ospreys out with a quickly taken lineout. Good news for the Young Ospreys was that injured captain Jack Shaw was at the match and he has been told by medical staff that he will be available to take part in contact sessions within three weeks. Hopefully he will then be able to claim the under 18 Welsh cap that has been denied him previously because of injury.