First Victory for Neath Port Talbot College

The college got the league competition off to a great start with a bonus point win over Coleg Llandrillo

With no wins from three games in the pool stages of thecompetition, it's not been the ideal start to the season for Neath Port Talbot College. Today's game against Llandrillo looked like it was going to be another tough one for the Ospreylian side, as they conceded a try with just 3 minutes on the clock. The visitors Llandrillo making easy work of finding a huge gap in the NPTC defence to cross the line, although they were unable to add the conversion as the ball went wide.

Shortly after Neath Port Talbot got themselves on the score board with a successful penalty kick following a deliberate knock on from Llandrillo's Josh Morris. His yellow card allowing NPTC to get into the game and onto the front foot.

Their one man advantage showed as their numbers out wide allowed Ceri Simons to slip over in the corner for home team's first try. Iwan Evans and his reliable boot adding the conversion.

The match had barely restarted when hooker Rhydian Jenkins powered his way downfield to add another five points to the hosts tally. Iwan Evans again with the successful conversion.

Coleg Llandrillo, who have one win so far in the competition, were far from a pushover and it was them that got on the scoresheet next. A break saw them travel from the halfway line to 22 and some dogged determination saw them make the remaining yards to score their second unconverted try.

Both teams had chance before half time to add another try but handling errors and some good defensive work from both sides kept anyone from putting the ball over. The first half ending:

 Neath Port Talbot College 17 - 10 Coleg Llandrillo

The first try of the game was impressive with only 3 minutes on the clock, but it had nothing on the opener of the second half. With less than 40 seconds played Ceri Simons extended Neath Port Talbot's lead as he raced up field for his second try of the match. Iwan Evans couldn't put a foot wrong as he again kicked a successful conversion.

From the restart Coleg Llandrillo went on the offensive and tried to get themselves back into the game but the Neath defence proved too much and after a period of scrappy play from both sides it was NPTC that recovered first. Jacapo Tomaselli, after an earlier attempt knocked on as he tried to stretch over the line, eventually crossing over to score the bonus point try for NPTC. Iwan Evans again with the conversion.

Llandrillo rallied in the last quarter, controlling the ball while they tried to make progress again the NPTC defence. Eventually they took their opportunity and managed to cross the line. The conversion bringing the scoring to a close.

Full time: Neath Port Talbot College 31 - 22 Coleg Llandrillo

Max Howells, Director of Rugby at Neath Port Talbot College commented on his team's first victory:

"It's nice to get the win, the boys have been working hard in training but we're still struggling a little with a lack of momentum. Llandrillo weren't as strong as what they have been but at the end of the day it was good to get the first win. Hopefully it will be a catalyst for some momentum next week and let's go for it!"

It wasn't such an ideal start to the league competition for Bridgend College as they suffered an away defeat in Cowbridge. The only Ospreylian College in the higher tier of the competition went down 36 - 22 to the team from the East.

Gower College Swansea had received a bye this week but kept up their winning ways with victory in a friendly against Whitchurch. Despite a strong first half performance from Whitchurch, GCS showed why they are favourites for the silverware in the trophy competion and their determined play secured them a win.