Eyasses Roundup

In their first game of their developmental triangular series, the young Ospreys secured a clear victory over their opponents, who were unable to elevate themselves from the zero-mark.

Dragons U16s Development 0 – 19 Ospreys U16s Development

After taking to the road and travelling up to the CSE Ystrad Mynach, the Ospreys U16s Development made their mark on their triangular series by securing a 19-point win over their opponents in their first clash away from home.

As the game got underway, both teams took to the field demonstrating fully-committed performances. The opening exchanges were comprised of both teams looking to break down each other’s defences with pick up and goes and by putting the ball wide through an expansive game.

It was the young Ospreys who were the first to get the scoreboard moving with 20-minutes on the clock. The Eyasses applied a tremendous amount of pressure to the Dragons and from a ruck out wide, John Coates, the Ospreys’ Loose Head Prop, picked up and drove over the whitewash from close range, taking the visiting team to an early 0-5 lead. Alex Hughes put the ball wide during his conversion attempt, keeping the scoreboard at an Ospreys 5-point lead.

Another Ospreys’ try shortly followed as it was only three-minutes later that Aaron Kerr secured a further five points. The visiting right winger received the ball in the wide channel and with a chip and chase over the top, the ball was regained by the young Osprey who used his speed to race over the line and dab down for an excellent solo try, successfully converted by Luca Caplin, extending the Ospreys’ lead to 0-12.

Playing with increased confidence, the Ospreys’ looked to test the Dragons’ defence, but it held strong as they absorbed the visitors’ pressure. Undeterred, the hosts put up a fight and made it difficult for their opponents to punch holes through their defence.

However, the young Ospreys’ were rewarded for their persistent pressure in the minutes before half-time when Troy Davies, the Ospreys’ Open Side Flanker, found himself out wide, where he received the ball and crossed over the line, Caplin with the extras to take the visitors into a healthy 19-point lead as the half-time whistle blew and the boys exited the field.



As the second-half kicked off, this saw for the introduction of fresh legs as both teams rung the changes. Both teams looked to cross the gain-line by punching holes in the oppositions’ defence and through quick hands, putting the ball out wide.

With less than 5-minutes played of this second-half, the Ospreys were reduced to 14 men when Luca Caplin was red carded for a dangerous high tackle.

The young Ospreys now had to dig deep to maintain their lead as the Dragons looked to make the extra-man advantage count. However, despite the hosts’ efforts, the Ospreys’ defence held tight which was saw frustrations run high within the home-team. With 58-minutes on the clock, the Dragons were also reduced to 14-men as Gethin Evans was yellow carded for bad language.

Throughout the duration of the second-half, both teams tried hard to cross the whitewash and to increase the points on the scoreboard. However, handling errors and good defensive work and line speed prevented both teams from dabbing down over the line.

Despite the Dragons battling hard, the Ospreys held on to their 19-point lead, that they had secured in the first-half, until the final whistle, which saw the visitors take the honours as they proved too strong for the Dragons on the night.