Cornish Pirates 41-5 Ospreys Premiership Select

Tough conditions and a strong start from the Pirates left the Ospreys PS a steep hill to climb after the break but, despite a second half improvement, three tries took the hosts clear of the visitors.

  • Cornish Pirates scored six tries against the young Ospreys Premiership Select side
  • Playing against the wind, the Ospreys PS faced a 24-0 deficit after 30 minutes
  • Young wing Tom Williams scored the Ospreys PS only points, a try just before the break

Right from the first whistle the Pirates got off to a flying start, working through the phases of play, passing the ball out wide where the Ospreys were short on numbers, allowing number eight Tom Duncan to cross the line in the opening minute. Fly-half Laurence May added the conversion, giving the hosts an early 7-0 lead. 

Just over the 20-minute mark, the Pirates had a lineout deep in the Ospreys 22 , the driving proving too strong, prop Marlon Walker powering through for the Pirates second try of the afternoon.

Despite some good attacking play by the young Ospreys, a few errors allowed the hosts to capitalise on, and May kicked a penalty for holding on, extending the Pirates lead at 17-0 at the half hour mark. 

Minutes later winger Alex O’Meara ran in from his own half, May converting to leave the Ospreys PS 24 points down. 

The Ospreys hopes were lifted when centre, Rheon James, came up just short of the try line against his former Pirates teammates then, just a minute later, good interplay between the forwards and backs culminated in a pass out wide to wing Tom Williams to go over. The try went unconverted but the Premiership Select team were on the scoreboard at half time. 


The third quarter was scoreless as the windy conditions dominated the game, but another lineout in the Ospreys 22 led to a driving maul with replacement Alex Cheeseman crashing over the line for the Pirates fourth of the game. 

With the Pirates holding a comfortable 29-5 lead frustrations began to show in the Ospreys side, scrum-half Chris Williams shown a yellow card for a professional foul, blocking the Pirates winger for chipping ahead, in the final 10 minutes.

Down to 14 men, it meant the Ospreys had to endure a tough final 10 minutes. Duncan ran in for his second try of the afternoon and the Pirates fifth, which went unconverted,  before wing O’Meara who was able to run clear to the line for his second of the afternoon too.

The Ospreys PS will continue their British and Irish Cup campaign on Saturday 10th December where they will travel to The Sportsground in Galway to take on Connacht Eagles.