Connacht Eagles 22 - 27 Ospreys Development team

The Ospreys Development team clinched a last minute try to seal the victory last night, in a thrilling round three match against Connacht Eagles

  • A try from Kieran Williams in the opening 10 minutes got the Ospreys side off to a flying start, with a penalty and conversion from Josh Thomas keeping the scores ticking over.
  • Connacht were able to match the points to put the scores even at the break
  • Tries from Dewi Cross, Guido Volpi and a conversion from Thomas kept the Ospreys edging ahead, but Connacht were able to answer back each time to keep the scores level at 22-22 with just five minutes left on the clock.
  • But the Ospreys dug in deep and a bonus point try at the death from Garin Lloyd secured the Ospreys the win.

Looking to bounce back from last weekend’s defeat, the Ospreys Development side travelled to Athlone for round three of the Celtic Cup. The young side faced Irish opposition before arriving at Dubarry Park, when they weathered the aptly named storm Bronagh on their travels.

With the weather cleared for kick off, the young side got off to a flying start. Dominating the early possession and territory, the Ospreys took advantage of penalties stacking in their favour to keep play in Connacht’s 22. Conjuring up an attack, Kieran Williams with a tap and go broke his way through the opposition’s defence for the opening score. Josh Thomas with the conversion put the Ospreys side ahead 0-7 with just under 10 minutes on the clock.

But Connacht made an impact from the restart. Hugh Lane breaking through the Ospreys defence from the halfway line left the Ospreys struggling to hold them back. Solid support from the Eagles and quick interplay from the pack left Lane clear to finish off for the try. The conversion just taken by the wind kept the Ospreys just ahead 5-7.

Both sides struggled to gain the upper hand against the other in the next 10 minutes of play. As one tried to make headway into the other’s half, a turnover kept them from the line and the scoreboard at a standstill.

But it was the Ospreys who spied the opportunity to extend their lead. Gaining a penalty inside Connacht’s half, the side opted for the posts. Thomas having no problems slotting the three edged the Ospreys ahead at 5-10 with 10 minutes left of the opening half.

Just as before, Connacht tried to answer back but were met with a strong defence from the Ospreys pack. But a  build up of phases in the Ospreys 22 punished the visitors defence who did well to keep their hosts at bay. But after a period of sustained pressure from a maul from a 5 metre lineout, Shane Delahunt crashed over the line to even the scores on the half time whistle with no conversion.

HALF TIME Connacht Eagles 10 – 10 Ospreys Development team

Running out for the second half the Ospreys were keen to go back ahead and wasted no time in pushing their way into Connacht’s half. A solid set piece from the forwards set the backs up nicely for full back Dewi Cross to race over the line for the Ospreys second try of the game. Thomas with the extras took the Ospreys 10-17 ahead.

But like before, Connacht answered back once again. A cross field kick from Conor Fitzgerald found the hands of Lane who raced over for his second try of the game. Fitzgerald converting to even the scores.

With the game going back and forth between the sides, it was the turn of the Ospreys to be in control. A powerful effort from the forwards saw them set up camp in Connacht’s 22. A strong effort at the scrum made way for Guido Volpi to break through and score the try! No conversion left the scores at 17-22 with 55 minutes on the clock.

Dejavu came calling again for the Ospreys, with Connacht responding well once more. After a period of play in the Ospreys 22, Conor Hayes picked up the points with a try to level the scores. No conversion put the score at 22-22 with 10 minutes left of play.

 In the final few moments, both sides tried to gain the upper hand and it was the Ospreys who prevailed. Holding their own well the young squad dug in deep and kept their composure to take play into Connacht’s 22. Controlling the ball well and building up the phases, the squad punished Connacht’s defence. With the hosts struggling to hold them back, the Ospreys took advantage and Garin Lloyd broke his way through to score the bonus point try for the Ospreys as the clock turned red. No conversion but the Ospreys claimed the win with the final score 22-27.

Next up for the Ospreys Development team is another trip to Ireland next weekend, when they take on Leinster A on Friday 28th September.