Cardiff Blues P.S. 43 - 13 Ospreys P.S

Despite a close first half, the young Ospreys Premiership Select side couldn't hold out the dominant Blues

A combination of handling errors as well as determineddefence by both sides stopped any early tries at the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park. The Cardiff Blues had a slight edge in the opening minutes, managing to combine their territory and possession but repeated infringements meant it was the Ospreys with the first chance at points. Joel Matavesi slotting the penalty between the posts with 7 minutes on the clock.

The Ospreys Premiership Select side then started to build using a powerful rolling maul to gain yards, but before they could reach the try line they were penalised for crossing. However, with the referee playing advantage, the Ospreys were at least able to collect three points via another successful Matavesi penalty kick.

As the game entered the second quarter there was a resurgence from the Blues and the Ospreys had to defend hard, a certain try looked saved when the visitors powered them into touch feet from the try line. However when the Ospreys line out was stolen it was an easy job for the Blues to drive over for the first try of the evening. Jarrod Evans adding the extras with a successful kick.

It didn't take long for the Blues to take advantage of territory again. When Marc Thomas was penalised the Blues had an opportunity for a well placed line out and again they used their powerful rolling maul to gain ground. The Ospreys read the game well defensively and turned the ball but were swiftly penalised for holding on allowing the Blues an even closer line out from which they were able to roll over the try line. Evans' kick extending their lead with half an hour played.

Just as it looked like the Blues would run away with the match the Ospreys Premiership Select found themselves right back in contention. An interception by Lloyd Evans as the Blues were making huge strides up field, sent Keelan Giles down the wing before Captain Martin Roberts slid over for the Ospreys first try. Matavesi with a great kick to convert.

With the game in the final two minutes, and with the Ospreys making some huge tackles, it seemed there would be just one point between the two teams at half time until an impressive break by Owen Jenkins for the Blues. With only one Osprey to defend against two players, the Blues made easy work of try number three before the successful conversion kick brought the first half to an end.

HT: Cardiff Blues Premiership Select  21 - 13 Ospreys Premiership Select

While the first half was fairly equal, the second was very much a Blues dominated affair. From the first whistle they were on the attack and despite a dogged defence the Ospreys could not match their powerful play. The Blues gained ground with every move and opened the second half scoring with a successful penalty kick after eight minutes.

Less than two minutes later the home side were back in the Ospreys 22 with a line out feet from the try line after Keelan Giles was shown a yellow card. In what seemed to be their signature move for the evening they successfully collected the ball and their rolling maul was unstoppable as it drove over the try line. Evans' kick for the conversion going wide for the first time all evening.

The Ospreys had no chance to attack themselves as they constantly had to defend the Blues powerful play. An infringement in the scrum soon allowed the Blues into the danger zone again for another line out. Again they drove towards the try line but this time the Ospreys were ready and the Blues instead had to go wide. The home team were camped on the Ospreys try line while they defended well through several phases but eventually the Blues used their overlap to score another converted try.

As the game entered the final quarter the Ospreys finally managed to get some possession but with no easy breaks through the Blues back line, they were unable to make more than a few feet at a time and seemed to pose no huge threat to the home side.

It seemed that the Blues were also tiring as they slightly lost their edge and started to find it harder to progress towards the try line. However as they had all game they took the opportunities that were presented to them. When replacement prop Cai Lewis was given a yellow card the Blues produced a huge scrum and managed to drive the Ospreys straight back over their own try line before Jevon Groves dropped down to score. Replacement Callum Hall's successful conversion extending their lead.

There were a few chances in the remaining minutes for the Ospreys with nice breaks coming from Keelan Giles and Tom Williams but there was just no gap to be found in the Blues defence and the game ended:

Cardiff Blues Premiership Select  43 - 13 Ospreys Premiership Select