Bryntirion Comprehensive win Ospreys U14's Cup

In an exciting game the Bridgend school overcame an early lead by Ysgol Gyfun Gwyr to win the Regional School's Cup

After an exciting and tight campaign in this year's OspreysSchools Cup, it was Bryntirion Comprehensive and Ysgol Gyfun Gwyr that met in this season's Under 14's Final at the Gnoll this week.

It was the side from Swansea that got off to the stronger start in the final. They put pressure on the Bryntirion defence and when they were under attack they held on well and forced their opponents into mistakes. Good teamwork saw Gwyr make ground and almost make it over the try line twice before the Bryntirion defence could stop them.

It was 8 minutes before Bryntirion got to launch their first attack and a fantastic break by Oran Harry had Gwyr racing back to defend their own try line, bundling him into touch just before he could score. The resulting line out created the first try of the game as Gwyr's Louis Rees collected the ball and raced from inside his own 22, dodging defenders along the way to score. With 11 minutes on the clock, Iestyn Rees added another two points with the conversion.

Bryntirion's Oran Harry was quickly making yards for his team from the restart and with Jacob Thomas and Captain Ed Biebrach carrying on the attack it wasn't long before the side from Bridgend were at Gwyr's try line. A final move from Harry getting Bryntirion onto the scoreboard. With Jacob Thomas unable to make the conversion, Gwyr held onto a narrow lead.

With Bryntirion finding their feet in the match it wasn't long before they were again putting pressure on the Gwyr defence. Morgan Strong led two attacks into Gwyr's 22 however they had to settle for a kick at the posts after Gwyr were penalised. The penalty went wide however and with 8 minutes left in the first half Bryntirion trailed 5 points to 7.

There were some highly impressive breaks by both sides throughout the game and Sion Jansen for Bryntirion raced up the field just before half time to put his side in prime position. With Gwyr not making their tackles it wasn't long before Jacob Thomas, completely unguarded, ran from the 22 to put the ball down between the posts. He then converted his own efforts and at half time the score was:

Bryntirion Comprehensive School 12 - 7 Ysgol Gyfun Gwyr.

The second half got off to a much faster start and Bryntirion were soon charging up field. With just two minutes played Morgan Strong stormed through the Gwyr defence to score and Jacob Thomas kicked a successful conversion.

Gwyr were in no way ready to give the game up and they weathered further attacks from Bryntirion before making several of their own. The Bridgend side's defence was under pressure and despite holding back Gwyr from making much progress they found themselves in trouble as their loosehead prop was sent to the sin bin.

Despite their one man advantage Gwyr were still unable to make much progress up field until Joseph Garcia found a gap to race up the wing. With more pressure coming from Gwyr, Bryntirion found themselves in even more trouble as they lost their other prop to the sin bin.

However even a two man deficit couldn't stop the side from Bridgend and another superb break by Jacob Thomas saw them score try number four. This time however he was unable to convert his try as the ball hit the posts.

Gwyr had some exceptional individual performances but Bryntirion proved themselves to be the whole package as the game went on . Three minutes after try number 4, try number 5 came courtesy of some great teamwork and Oran Harry's impressive speed. Jacob Thomas this time successful with his conversion attempt.

After 55 minutes Joseph Garcia from Gwyr also showed his own impressive speed as he again raced up the wing. Bryntirion were able to stop his run but with the Swansea side retaining control of the ball it wasn't long before they used an overlap of players to their advantage and Louis Rees scored his second try of the game.

There was just time in the few remaining minutes for Ed Biebrach and Jacob Thomas of Bridgend to once again work together well to barge their way through Gwyr's defence and score the final try of the match. With Thomas unable to convert the game finished:

Bryntirion Comprehensive School 36 - 12 Ysgol Gyfun Gwyr.