Bridgend College make it two wins in a row

Gower College Swansea also victorious while NPTC suffer another defeat in the Wednesday Under 18 League

Bridgend College are the only Ospreylian side to have madeit into the upper tier of the WRU Wednesday Under 18 League this season, and after a shaky start with two losses the College have turned things around, recording their second win in a row this afternoon against Coleg Gwent.

It was at a very windy Pencoed campus that the two colleges met again, last time Gwent came away with a 44 - 12 victory and it looked like they could be set to do so again when they got the first points on the board after just three minutes with a successful penalty kick.

More trouble followed for the home side with a strong Gwent side putting pressure on in the scrum and making Bridgend work as they attacked their line. However last week's victory over Coleg Y Cymoed seemed to have put some confidence into the Ospreylian team as they were soon back in the match, matching Gwent move for move.

With eleven minutes on the clock Bridgend were looking truly dangerous for the first time and eventually a clever dummy for the home side worked as it left a gap for them to slide through for the first try of the match. The wind, which made kicking difficult throughout the game, causing the ball to go wide of the posts.

More good work followed by Bridgend, good hands and team work saw them playing the ball well and making yards but with the wind making kicking to touch difficult, and both teams being penalised several times, they couldn't really get started to launch another attack.

Towards the end of the first half both teams saw opportunities to put scores on the board after they were awarded penalities but with the strong wind, neither side managed to hit the mark.

Despite more impressive offensive and defensive play from both teams, the first half came to end with the score remaining:

Bridgend College 5 - 3 Coleg Gwent

As the second half got underway Bridgend came out the stronger side, putting pressure on Coleg Gwent from the off. Their attacks seeing them make progress with every run, where Gwent could only send the ball back and for across the field thanks to the powerful Bridgend defence.

A strong run from Reuben Tooze saw Bridgend in their opponents 22 and problems only got worse for the visitors when they received a yellow card. Despite being a man down Gwent continued to hold out Bridgend, stealing a line out feet from the try line and holding out a second powerful push towards their try line.

However when they received a second yellow card for bringing down the scrum, they couldn't continue to hold out. Their two man deficit showing as Bridgend sent it across the field and found the obvious gap for Marcus Webb to run through. This time the wind wasn't able to stop Owen Watkin scoring the conversion.

With Gwent back up to 15 men and then wind still affecting both team's kicking, Bridgend struggled to close out the game. Gwent were struggling to make any forward progress until a gap opened up and their 13 made a break to run half the field for their first try. The conversion putting them just two points behind Bridgend.

The home side however were quick to show their dominance, from the restart they turned over the Gwent ball and Owen Watkin ran straight over for a well deserved try after a strong performance all game. With a pick up in the wind, he was unable to convert his own effort though.

With just a few minutes on the clock, Gwent tried to get back into the game but the home team's defence remained strong and the match finished:

Bridgend College 17 - 10 Coleg Gwent

Gareth Nicholas from Bridgend College commented on his sides performance:

"I'm really pleased with the performances for the last two weeks. When we look back at the start of the competition, we now realised we were undercooked. The amount of work that the boys have put in is huge, it's exceptionally pleasing when they've worked so hard, for it to bear fruit. Next week against Sir Gar will really be the acid test for us now but the boys are making massive strides and it's a good place to be".

Gower College Swansea also managed to continue their winning ways with another victory, this time over Newport High School. In a tough and tight game away in Newport they eventually managed to win 14 - 10.

Neath Port Talbot College's problems in the lower tier of the competition continued however. They were beaten convincingly 41 - 25 by bottom team Pembrokeshire College.