Brave Ospreys miss out in Singha 7s

The Ospreys bowed out at the semi final stage of this year’s Singha Premiership 7s, defeating Newcastle in the last eight before going down to hosts Wasps.

  • Morgan Williams (2), Jonathan Phillips and Tom O'Flaherty score tries as Ospreys defeat Newcastle in quarter-final
  • O'Flaherty then grabs a first half-brace against hosts Wasps in the semi-final but two late tries from 2013 Lion, Christian Wade, ended the Ospreys hopes of silverware
  • Tom Smith praises "unquestionable attitude and Ospreys spirit" of young squad

Newcastle Falcons V Ospreys 

The Ospreys had to wait to get their first taste of the action, their quarter-final against Newcastle Falcons the last of the final eight fixtures to get underway.

The opening games had seen Sale and Exeter progress to the semis, with Cardiff Blues and Northampton Saints dropping to the plate competition, with Wasps then grabbing a dramatic win over Harlequins with the final play to book a last four clash against the winner of the Falcons v Ospreys tie.

Falcons opened the scoring after 70 seconds, Tom Catterick cruising through a huge gap in the defensive line to go under the sticks, before converting his own try.

The Ospreys struck back immediately though, Morgan Williams with a lovely sidestep on halfway to take out the defender and leave him a clear path to the line, Scrivens’ conversion leveling things.

Steff Andrews then showed great awareness to track back and haul Adam Radwan to the floor after the Falcons man had left Tom O’Flaherty grasping air, Andrews then picking himself up to win a penalty 5m from his own line.

It was Williams and Andrews who then created the second Ospreys try from nothing, the former freeing the latter up the right before receiving the return pass to score, Scrivens again successful with the conversion.

There was still time for Newcastle to grab a second before the break, this time Radwan crashing over from close range after Catterick was stopped just short by Andrews. The conversion missed so Ospreys led 14-12 at the turnaround.

The Ospreys made the best possible start to the second half, O’Flaherty putting boot to ball then winning the race for the line, Scrivens making it three from three to take the score to 21-12.

The win was secured when great work on the floor by Scrivens and Mike Sully secured possession deep inside Newcastle territory and it was Aberavon fullback Jonathan Phillips who sidestepped his way over the line for a fourth try, Scrivens again on target.

There was still time for Tom Fitch to go over in the corner with a minute on the clock for an unconverted score to secure, but it was the Ospreys who progressed to the Cup semi-final against hosts Wasps.



Wasps v Ospreys

With Exeter having seen off Sale 26-21 in semi-final one, attention then turned to the Ospreys in their clash with the hosts, Wasps.

As was the case in the quarter-final against the Falcons, the Ospreys went behind early on, Guy Thompson running a great angle to take Brendan Macken’s pass at pace and go under the posts for a try converted by Craig Hampson.

They hit back sharpish, O’Flaherty with his second of the afternoon, twisting and turning away from defenders in front of the posts before dotting down, Scrivens leveling things up with his boot.

The large home contingent inside the Ricoh Arena were then stunned into silence as the Ospreys grabbed a second, aggressive defence pinning Wasps back on their 22, frustrating them into throwing a long, looping pass that was plucked out of the air by O’Flaherty who made no mistake.

Scrivens took the Ospreys lead to14-7 but Wasps leveled with the last play of the half, a length of the field break that was eventually finished off by Frank Halai who powered his way over. The conversion from Hampson was good and it was all-square as the teams changed ends.

It was delicately poised but a Wasps turnover on their own 22 allowed them to launch a swift counter, moving the ball quickly to England international Christian Wade who carried well and was able to offload to Tom Howe, supporting well, who scored in the corner.

The try went unconverted but Wasps led by five.

The Ospreys were then reduced to six men when O’Flaherty was shown yellow for a deliberate knock-on and Wasps were able to take full advantage of the extra man, working Wade in in the corner, to round off a 24-14 win for the hosts, bringing the Ospreys involvement to an end.