Blues South U18s 24 - 43 Ospreys U18s

After kicking off their WRU Regional Age Grade campaign with a thumping 66-5 win over RGC three weeks ago, the Ospreys U18s travelled to Cardiff Arms Park to take on Blues South on Sunday afternoon

  • Iwan Temlett, Jay Roberts, Tiaan Thomas Wheeler, Frankie Jones all crossed over the try line, with Ben Cambriani scoring a double to take the try count to six
  • Luke Scully kicked 13 points in total in an outstanding performance from the captain and his squad.

The Ospreys wasted to time in making their mark on the game, winning a scrum after forcing a Blues knock on. A strong set piece from the pack kept the Ospreys in control, but a penalty for holding on put the Blues back in the driving seat. After a good couple of carries from the Blues a break from fullback Joe Davies brought the Blues into the Ospreys half, but a powerful tackle from Luke Scully turned the ball over.

With a penalty to the Ospreys, a good touch finder and pressure left the Blues scrambling their defences. Just managing to keep the Ospreys out of their 22, the Blues did well but it was the Ospreys who claimed the opening try of the game. 

A penalty in hand and a quick tap and go from Iwan Temlett saw the scrum-half fly over the line. Luke Scully converting gave the Ospreys a 0-7 lead with just over 10 minutes played

The Blues tried their hardest to battle back, racing upfield through the backs but an excellent tackle from Ospreys’ Frankie Jones sent the Blues into touch putting his team back in possession.

And it wasn’t long till the Ospreys attack stepped it up again. A nicely timed break from Tiaan Thomas Wheeler supported by his fellow backs created a chance for Ben Cambriani to score the Ospreys second try of the game. Scully converting took the Ospreys further ahead 0-14. 

With momentum on their side the Ospreys were all fired up and some great pace from Frankie Jones nearly led to a third try, the ball knocked on just on the try line.

But the Ospreys maintained pressure on the Blues, the bal going loose in the tackle, nicely picked up by prop Jay Roberts who powered over the line, Scully on target once again with the extras.

With two minutes left till halftime, the Blues tried their best to build momentum taking play deep into the Ospreys half. But despite carrying the ball well they struggled to puncture the Ospreys defence with the phases reaching double figures.

After penalties started to stack up against the Ospreys, the Blues found themselves edging nearer to the line. Eventually, five minutes later than the original half time whistle was due to blow, a pass out wide to Harrison Ashby saw the Blues score the try, Tony Lamerton with the conversion.

Half Time Blues South U18s 7 - 21 Ospreys U18s

A quick charge from Blues captain James Bartlett resulted in a second try for the hosts shortly after the restart, Lamerton’s conversion narrowing the deficit to seven.

Keen to keep the scoreboard ticking over, the Ospreys took their chances well. A rip from Tom Davies put the Ospreys in possession deep in the Blues half. Awarded a penalty, the Ospreys opted to go for goal with skipper Scully comfortably slotting the 3 points,  taking the scores to 14-24.

Back in control, the Ospreys backs were clinical and great pace from Tiaan Thomas Wheeler saw the centre clear to score, being brought down in the process, before getting back up and grounding the ball. Scully added the extras once again.

But the Blues were quick to answer back, with a quick break from Aron Churchill flying over in the corner for a score that went unconverted. 

Turning over the ball from the restart, a pass out wide and sidestep to Frankie Jones saw the wing run clear of the line. Another conversion from Scully put the scores at 19-38. 

Firmly in control of the game, the Blues struggled to hold the Ospreys attack Puncturing the defence, another break from Cambriani made way for the sixth try for the visitors, Scully off target with his kick.

The Blues kept going though and came away with the final score of the game, Harrison Ashby spotting the gap to claim his second try,  taking the scoreboard to 24-43, after a missed conversion, at the final whistle.

Next up for the Ospreys U18s is a visit from the Blues North U18s to the Gnoll on Wednesday 30th August, K.O 7pm.