Bedford Blues 43 - 19 Ospreys Premiership Select

Match report from Goldington Road as the Ospreys Premiership Select faced Bedford Blues in the second round of the British & Irish Cup on Saturday afternoon.

  • Early tries from Joe Thomas and Dafydd Howells gave the Ospreys the lead, with Luke Price adding the extras.
  • After Bedford dominated the middle third of the game on the scoreboard a try from Jay Baker and late pressure nearly saw them secure a losing bonus point but they came up short.


The Ospreys PS started strongly, securing a penalty in the early stages of play to put them in a good attacking position. Powerful attacks and good interplay amongst the backs created room for Joe Thomas to break through and score the opening try with only five minutes played, although the conversion was missed.


Quick to answer back, Bedford secured a penalty for an offside and opted to kick to touch. Securing the lineout in the 22, a driving maul put them inches from the try line, and playing the advantage a pass out wide to Dean Adamson sent the wing over the line. Harry Sheppard with the extras put the hosts jahead 7-5.


Taking advantage of Bedford’s handling errors the visitors were awarded a scrum just inside Bedford’s half.


A solid effort from the pack and quick line speed saw Dafydd Howells breeze over the line to ground the ball under the posts. Luke Price with the extras to take the Ospreys 12-7 ahead with quarter of an hour played.


With Bedford keen to chase back their lead, it was dejavu as another kick to touch put them in a dangerous attacking position. A driving maul made room for Jacob Fields to crash over the whitewash, the missed conversion leaving the scores even.


The Ospreys were enjoying plenty of territory and possession but were unable to cope with Bedford’s rolling maul and, again, a lineout in the Ospreys 22, led to another score,  this time from scrum-half Lee Dickson which went unconverted, meaning the hosts led by five at the break.


Half Time - Bedford Blues 17 - 12 Ospreys Premiership Select


Coming out for the second half, Bedford were the first off the mark after a build up of phases found them in the Ospreys 22. A powerful finisj from number 8 Jordan Onojaife gave the home side their fourth try of the game, Sheppard with the conversion to take them 24-12 ahead.


The Ospreys tried to answer back, securing their own penalty 10m out. A strong drive saw them attacking inches from the line, but a knock-on left Bedford with a chance to clear.


Attacking strong once again, Bedford’s pack found their way into the Ospreys half and another quick take from Will Carrick-Smith sent the lock over the line, Sheppard extending their lead to 19 points.


Still battling their way into the game, a strong Ospreys defence held up another Bedford attack, but a missed touch finder put Bedford back in control. A quick take from Elliot Clements-Hill saw the wing score out wide, despite the Ospreys efforts to bring him down. No conversion left the scores 36-12 with just over 20 minutes left to play.


Still trying to get back into the game, the Ospreys secured a penalty at the scrum just inside Bedford’s half. They took it quickly to leave Bedford scrambling their defences, but a penalty against the Ospreys for crossing put the hosts back in possession.


Bedford powered their way back into the Ospreys half, and a nicely spotted break from Chris Czekaj gave Bedford another try. The Conversion taking them further ahead 43-12.


But the Ospreys still weren’t giving up, taking another quick penalty, good carries from Mitchell Walsh and Reuben Morgan-Williams found them 5m out once more, but a knock on over the line left them coming away empty-handed.


Clinching another penalty from their hosts, the Ospreys came attacking again, and a brilliant take from Jay Baker saw the wing shrug off a tackle and burst over the line for the Ospreys third try of the game, converted by Price.


In the hunt for a losing bonus point, the Ospreys found their way into Bedford’s half with time up. Strong carries and quick interplay nearly saw them secure the try, but a loose pass left them come away empty-handed once again, with no time for a restart.


Next up for the Ospreys Premiership Select is a trip to the Lady Bay Stadium on Sunday 10th December to face Nottingham, K.O 3pm.